Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whatcha guys think?

1985 GL-10 4x4 Turbo Auto w/51k on it.

My battery died last weekend so I attempted to give the car a jump (did not cross the wires, absolutely positive) but it did not work. I did notice that I burned up one the 1.25 fusible links though (attached to the washer fluid) reservoir. I replaced the fusible link but the car won't start.

I'm not getting any power back to my fuel pump and I don't know what happened.

A friend was telling me how finicky these cars are with wiring, he said he thought the computer got fried in the process of me jumping the car which I find this very hard to believe. Are there any other fusible links/fuses between the fuel pump and the dash?

Otherwise if the computer is bad, I'm going to have to find one, no idea where to even look.

Thanks!

Oh, I thought you meant there were additional fusible links under the dash.

I checked all the standard links, they're all fine. All the fusible links appear fine as well. Power, however, is not getting to the fuel pump.

Do we think it's the ECM? Boy, I really hope not.

plug in the green test connectors and turn the key to the on position The LED on the ecu will start flashing, and this will cycle the fuel pump circuit. you should hear the fuel pump turn off and on for 2 seconds. You should also hear the relay flashing. Make sure the relay is clicking, and then go look at the fuel pump.

if you disconnected a fuel hose, you would get bursts of fuel.

if you get the relay clicking, but no fuel pump, check the ground. jump a ground to the body. if that does not work, check for voltage with a meter or light.

If still nothing, check the fuel pump related fuse.

IF the ecu does nothing and no relay clicks, check the ecm, meter, and clock/hazard/horn fuses. If you have no voltage there, check the fuse links once more, the wiring between it and the battery, and the wiring between the alternator and the battery.

the ecu will not come on if fuse 5 is blown. If the hazard does not work this fuse or 12v constant is faulty.