Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just heard from the daughter who has the GT in Binghamton NY. Last week when it was -10° F, she said they got in started the car, it started OK just a little slow. At -10 no wonder! But when they pulled out and hit the brakes, nothing :confused: , slid into the garage wall no damage. It has been fine since then, according to last nights e-mail. Cannot figure out what the mode of failure might have been :banghead:

Any ideas?

I did do new rotors and pads for state inspection prior to her getting the car. Had also cleaned and re-lubed the slider pins as part of that project.

I will ask her to look for obvious leaks, but if it is a leak why would the brakes work now ?

there is a known issue of no brakes when super cold. i have read that replacing the brake booster helps, but i have a;lso read that it didn't fix it for some. i don't know thew solution.

but until it is fixed, she MUST test the brakes before she pulls out. once they start working they are good until the next cold cold start.

She did say that from now on they were going to let it warm-up, before they pull out. That might help, but having no -10° days would be better !!!

I'll remind her to test before pulling out, but I'd feel better if I could check it out myself. Only have had the GT for a year, and have not gone thru everything yet. And now that it lives in another state, it complicates the issue. Man I would really would like to find a good indy in Binghamton NY.

Thanks guys

The one way check valve in the Brake booster hose iced up.

Causes a "no power assist" brake situation.

Pull the hose from the booster, and spray wd-40 inside the hose, and into the port on the booster.

That should prevent it.

Also, simply STOMPING the brake pedal a few times after car is started, but before driving should usually free it up.

I had this happen on my '94 a few weeks ago. I remember seeing a TSB or the likes about it for that era but I couldn't find it now. On mine anyway it felt like the pedal was mechanically jammed/blocked, it was definitely not just a lack of assist. I almost ran into the side of a coworker's car in the parking lot because of it. So testing the brakes before getting going is a good idea!

Thee solution is to live with it. What happened was the PB booster froze. What she needs to do is start the car and pump the brake pedal HARD with the car running three or four times. This plus the vac of the engine breaks the ice loose and she will be good for most the day. In temps below freezing always do this.

They actually make brake line anti-freeze for big rigs.

Whether it may work or ruin a booster or hose I don't know.

As pointed out now that you know they may be wimpy and possible how to solve it each time it happens you're probably good to go.

I used to have this problem. For me, the check valve in the brake booster hose would freeze up. Probably like what was happening to the other people.

After I took the hose off and blew air through it, I noticed that the check valve would stick. I fixed it by flushing it both ways with carb cleaner. The valve seemed much better after that and it hasn't frozen since.

Just make sure you note which way the hose goes and put it back the right way. If it's backwards, you'll get no boost at all.

Ask me how I know. :eek:

EDIT: I should post this late. I somehow missed the answer Gloyale posted. So, yeah. What he said. Worked for me.

Edited by SchwarzeEwigkt
Herp derp.

I apologize, but I think I should post this since it still pertains to braking issues.

In my MySubaru account (I have a 1999 Legacy Outback), there is a TSB, but unlikely to be related to this issue:

Service Campaign Number

WXQ74

"Subaru of America, Inc. has determined that your Subaru may experience reduced braking efficiency in extremely cold outside temperatures (approximately 20 degrees below zero Fahrenheit and colder.) In extremely cold ambient temperatures, your brake pedal may have increased pedal travel and reduced braking efficiency. This could result in additional stopping distances, which can result in an accident. Please contact your Subaru dealer and schedule a service appointment to replace the brake master cylinder unit on your vehicle. This repair will be performed at no charge to you. We regret any inconvenience this may cause, but we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and your continued satisfaction with your Subaru"

There was a recall for the MC, but this is a booster issue :( . It is not an uncommon issue either as some other cars do it on occassion for another reason. Technically it is not the cars fault ...

IT IS PEOPLE!

:)

The mositure from the air inside the car freezes up the valve. The cure for this sometimes is to replace the brake booster but there is no guarentee.

Subarus happen by this (thats what sometimes fixes it) or the check valve (thats why sometimes it doesnt solve the problem).