Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changed spark plugs! Covered in oil? WT?

Ok, so I was changing the spark plugs on the 99 Subby Outback Sport the other day and when I pulled the spark plug wires, they are all covered with oil! Got the plugs out and the plugs are covered with oil. Spark plug tips are nice and white. Car doesn't seem to use any oil or smoke. Runs like a top.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

UMT

The oil leaks around those seals and into the spark plug tube. Those seals are supposed to keep the oil behind the valve cover from getting to the spark plug tubes. The spark plug tubes on that engine penetrate the valve cover.

Allright! Thanks alot. Will order some new seals today!

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Valve-Cover-Gasket-Set-Felpro_15780704-P_107_R|GRPGASKAMS_____

I spec'd it out for a 2000 RS but that part should be the same.

Use in store pickup and use coupon codes from here: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/advanceautoparts.com

Ahhhh, I see now!

Thanks a bunch!

UMT

I wouldn't take that bet, you could loose. There is quite a bit of difference between OE and aftermarket. Spark Plug Bucket seals are on lots of engines, so they will try to make one style fit all.

There is a post on another board showing the difference and it is rather dramatic.