Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there a way I can see if the HG was done with the updated gasket on a Forester or an Outback?

A friend of mine has been looking for a Subaru, and has been asking about HG and a lot of people arent sure if it was done (havent owned it long) and dont have maintenance papers.

I saw an outback where the gasket looked brand new, but the guy didnt know anything about it. But a 1999 Forester we looked at, the people arent sure if it was done and they dont have a way of knowing apparently.

I am intrigued as Ive heard that its a HG job anyway, so if youre doing HG might as well slap on the cheap power mod..

The ONLY way a frankenmotor is a "power mod" in the world of the EJ powered car is.... When you put the 2.5 block in a place that was originally occupied by an EJ22. Slapping some EJ22 heads on you Outback, Forester, 2.5RS, Legacy GT, or any car that was born :rolleyes: with an EJ25, is not a "cheap power mod" as you put it.

READ!!! All your intrigue will become... Less intriguing... (Could take a while, but the knowledge is a good thing to attain)

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631527&highlight=frankenmotor

Edited by obk25xt

yeah, the only reason a frankenmotor would be a good solution for an ej25 car is if the cost of the ej22 heads and intake was less than the cost of the head repair for the ej25 AND money was really really tight. (like you already have the ej22 engine and it ran out of oil and has rod knock.)

hello, jack:

does any one know if an '08 ej25 block would swap for an '00 ej25 block, using '00 heads and intake for an '00 - '04 car car?

i have the heads and there is an '08 short block for sale near me.

Edited by johnceggleston

does any one know if an '08 ej25 block would swap for an '00 ej25 block, using '00 heads and intake for an '00 - '04 car car?

Don't have hands on knowledge, but Subaru lists the same intake manifold gasket for 00-09, but different HG for these series.

O.