Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help!!! 81 brat

My 81 BRAT with the ea81 and d/r tranny just broke down on me today..when i was going down the road the right front wheel started making a seroius load clunking noise that went away when i went off the gas so i pulled over and couldnt find anything wrong then when i went to pull back on the road the car started to budge then it made this really load grinding noise and the whole car shoke...any ideas???!:banghead::(:dead:

sounds like the front axle has broken at one of the joints.. I'd guess the outer joint but you can crawl under and grab hold of the axle shaft and

see if you can rattle it..

Did you ever hear any clicking coming from that area of the brat prior to today?

Check the condition of the rubber boots on each of the front axles too (there are 2 per side).. If they're torn then that's probably what led to the

failure, if that's the case..

let us know what's up

cheers

My car did that in the rear and it was the ball bearing. The idiot at the shop who repaired it put a small curved plate in backwards enabling all the grease to go spitting out and I had to have it towed home. :( It's scary when it happens, but as long as you got it home whatever it is should be visable.

Best of luck!

I've had similar symptoms in my Brat before. First it was the left front wheel shaking violently. No noise, just shaking. Replaced that CV axle and problem solved. Then the passenger side front wheel did the same thing on a longer trip on the highway. (this wheel I knew also had a bad wheel bearing) Had to limp it all the way home like this, so I ended up replacing the ball joint as well from all the shaking. When I took the axle off it was evident that the bearing had gotten very hot because it left a heat mark on the axle. I replaced the bearings and axle in that side. Now, no more shakes or worries at all. :)

well pulled the axle off today have one coming tomorrow..but the axle seemed fine..and this is after we popped in 4wheel drive and made sure it wasnt the clutch or the tranny..then popped it out of 4wheel and the driver side axle made a grinding noise so idk if it's just cuz you can't twist it by hand to feel it slip or what but we well see tomorrow when i get the new one in maybe...

Anybody know how to get the bearings out hammer and screwdriver didnt work and a hammer and chisel didnt work and we dont have the cash to get a bearing puller any ideas??

Just about any small torch or even a heat gun applied to the knuckle on the outside of the bearing area will help tremendously. In the summer I just leave the knuckle in the Sun for a little while (it gets really hot) and the bearings pop right out.

do a "search" above on bearing changes... lots of write ups.

don't need bearing puller..... I guess one would work? anywho... I use a long round punch and lets say the inner bearing is bad and axle is removed, just put a punch against the inner race and tap, go to opposite side, tap etc.. etc. maybe more than a tap... sometimes a beat and it will start to scootch out..

to install new bearing after packed with grease (everyone has their own item) I go to a farm supply and get 2 or 3 shaft collars just a bit smaller than the bearing outer diameter and will slide over the axle and about 6 large washers that will slide over the axle but wider than the bearing. (never beat directly on bearing) Beat on the Shaft collars to pound in new bearings and use washers and collars as spacers to suck the new axle in... good luck.

Edited by Indrid cold

Bearing puller wouldn't work - not any that I've seen anyway.

You use a large steel or brass drift and a BIG hammer.

The biggest mistake people make when trying to knock out bearings, or really anytime you want to MOVE some serious metal is not using the right tool. If you want to move something the size of a 6207 that's been in place for years inside a net-zero type of housing fitment..... 4lb hammer and at least a 3/4" thick punch. Brass works but steel is even better.

If you absolutely can't get them out pull the knuckle off and bring it to me. I'll remove them for free. But beware - you will be embarrased at how easily I knock them out ;).

If you get bearings (go to a bearing supply house like McGuire and get 6207-2RS-C3's) then I can install those for you at the same time. I built a special install driver for them from a crapped out 6207 outer race, a pipe nipple, and a cap.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I know nothing of transmissions, other than no forward motion when 4x isn't engaged can't be good. Usually these issues are met with instant trade up's to a 5 speed tranny and happier driver which I did to my Brat. I am not a mechanic, I was helped out alot by this site and got it done.

Assure you can swap a 5 speed tranny in your 81 Brat. (1982 on, no problem-I'm just not sure on the 81 year.) If you got the axle done you can do the tranny swap with the help of this site and alittle more $. Tranny usually goes for about $150., drive line needs to be lengthened and misc... it adds up..

I look at it this way: average car payment $300+. for that you can get your Brat running and not make another payment.... for awhile. If you sell it you could get another car that will what..... break down? At 16 I am sure $ is tight... but don't give up that easily... these cars are very forgiving to repair and operating cost (gas), parts and doing your own labor makes for cheap transportation for a kid. At the least, park it, ride a bike and work on it when you have the funds. My Brat sat for almost 2 years till I got it running again. Currently I have an 82 Wagon sitting for over 3 years as I slowly gather parts, tranny and engine sitting in garage, saving for a lift kit, wiring harnes and other items.... it just takes time.

Congrats on the axle replacement even if you had help as you are gaining experience and you will require less assistance on the next one, after that you will teach others.

You are learning fast young Padawan.

Edited by Indrid cold

when it's in four wheel drive the rear wheels have power but the front don't and in 2wd the front wheels still don't have power and there's a horrid grinding noise coming from inside the tranny that shakes the whole car.....and i wont be getting a new car i well be getting a used one off of craigslist that's easier to find parts for and less likely to break down..i don't have a steady income to pay for all the work that needs to be done to my brat..i'm in debt with my parents already so ya

Are you SURE that it's not stripped hub splines? This is much more common than front diff failure and the symtoms are the same.

Look under the car while it's in 2WD and doing it's "grinding" thing - if the inner axle cups are spinning then you have bad hub splines.

4 speed's don't usually experience front differential failure. None of the MT's do really. That would be an extremely rare failure.

GD

i know alot of people on here bash the ea82s but a cheap loyale would serve you well and theres still parts around you just have to look and you can get a 2 inch lift for them for around $120 i know what its like to be broke and working on a car especially, in the cold. it sucks.