Ultimate Subaru Message Board

:Flame:

Yeah yeah, I know flame flame lol. I got a 1997 outback as my new daily driver and I am lowering it with WRX struts/springs.

My question is to lower it and be "right", do I need to change the trailing arm brackets and remove the subframe spacers?

My answer is yes but don't know what all this entails, like steering shaft length etc.

What I am really looking for in an answer is from someone who has first or second hand experience lowering an outback.

Struts/springs will change your ride height. Cross member spacers will not. The cross member spacers are there to get the axles to a better operating angle so they don't wear as quickly. You don't necessarily have to remove the spacers but ground clearance under the cross members will be about an inch lower than without them. This also means the oil pan and will be that much closer to the ground.

FWIW With them on the whole drivetrain is ~1" lower, which will bring the COG of the car closer to the ground though. Might give it a handling advantage? :burnout:

:Flame:

Yeah yeah, I know flame flame lol. I got a 1997 outback as my new daily driver and I am lowering it with WRX struts/springs.

My question is to lower it and be "right", do I need to change the trailing arm brackets and remove the subframe spacers?

My answer is yes but don't know what all this entails, like steering shaft length etc.

What I am really looking for in an answer is from someone who has first or second hand experience lowering an outback.

hmmmm...do you already have the parts you need?

icon10.gif

Flame? You are going to the stake, my friend! :D

Seriously... with so many beautiful GTs in the world, why do you want to do this to an Outback? Not that you can't do it, of course, but you'll probably end up with a better result starting with a car closer to what you want...

Edit: I'm finding some pictures on the web. i.e.

4560847014_ae13df5370.jpg

(from http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/lets-see-those-pictures-your-lowered-legacy-126748.html )

lowered_legacy.jpg

or

DSCF1293.JPG

(from http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788725 ... take a look at it!)

Not my cup of tea but look good, I reckon.

Edited by jarl

If you just lower the suspension, you'll change the geometry.

The control arms are now going to be working out of their optimal arc, it's going to cause the geometry to go bad when your corner, etc.

Since it's just a legacy with spacers, take them out. You'll probably need to get bolts from a Legacy because they'll be shorter (not having to go through spacers)

Get the steering linkage from a legacy.

It looks like more of stupid rims added than drop... makes it look dropped.

The ground around the front end is changed a bit, but the roof rack still lines up the same place with the old AC unit in the background.

The rest of the car is about the same in both pictures relative to the ground.

I use gimp and the whole car is dropped, I cut the whole frame in half at the bottom line of the car following the wheel arches, leave the wheels with the lower half of the "picture" and move the body of the car down. It is just something I figured out. Notice the picture is about 1/4 inch shorter after editing :grin:

IMAG0226-1-1.jpg

If I cannot find a full set with springs and struts, I will let you know texan. The outback struts are longer. WRX struts are 3" shorter than standard legacy struts so who knows the diff for outback struts maybe another 2". I will know once I have a set and go to swap them. I will measure them when I do.

gimp is a free image editing tool rugby and is full feature and works on linux, mac, and windows

http://www.gimp.org/downloads

I like the outback look, and I know there are lego GT's everywhere in the north, but even "L" legacies are kinda scarce down here. I see outbacks daily, but legacy gt's are a pretty rare occurance.

Plus I got this gem for 900 with a blown headgasket and am getting rid of my 91 in order to keep it :-\

I looked into doing this with my Outback when I first got it and before I moved (lowered will NOT get up my driveway :brow:) and spent a few years researching and talking to people on all the boards and from what I gathered, the best option is to go with the regular Legacy GT struts and King Springs lowering springs for the Legacy Wagon (BG). You'll end up being about 2.5 inches lower than stock (struts alone are 1 inch) before rim and tire change. The black Outback on the bottom that jarl posted started that way but has last I heard full coil overs and still has the stock Outback spacers installed (he's a member of sl-i.net).

If you go with WRX goodies, make sure they are for a wagon and get the "saggy butt spacers" (3/8") for an even stance.

Removing the spacers is more work than it's worth. You have to replace the steering linkage, front control arm rear bushings, the lower control arm as a whole if I remember as it's different than the regular Legacy, transmission crossmember, rear control arm bracket, and I think that might be it. A LOT of work for an extra inch gc.

yeah im not too worried about ground clearance lol.

I am looking for a set of wrx struts and if I cannot find wagon rears, I will just put 1"/1 1/2" tokiko sportlines on them. But I bet that is hella low.

here is my roommate's 1995 postal with tokiko sportlines on wrx struts. 1"f 1 1/2" r

IMAG0219.jpg