Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 legacy adding D/R and 8" lift

91leglift

Ok so i just got my new Frankenstein engine in the car a little while back and now with taxes finally on the way i can start thinking about getting my lift and D/R.

Lets start with the D/R 5MT:

What has to be done with the drive line to make it bolt up to the new D/R

What are the best front axles to go with

What do i need to do to get everything hooked up between the inside of the car and the D/R (shifter and high/low shifter)

8" SJR lift:

Where do i get longer brake lines and what length should i get

What does it take to lengthen the steering shaft

Will i have to adjust the length of the drive line with the lift as well as the D/R (should i do both at the same time to make life easier)

Feel free to add anything else i might be missing that will help make it all go together faster and smoother

As she sits right now

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/426222_310675165645024_100001076300962_911480_1184763370_n.jpg

I was thinking about running 31's but im going back and forth with myself over doing 6" or 8" of lift and maybe just run a 29-30" tire.

Does anyone know how to get a hold of obk25xt. I was supposed to be getting a D/R from him but havent gotten a PM back from him in a while

Im trying not to do any trimming and im lifting it for ground clearance to avoid getting high centered more than just to put larger tires on. Im making this into a all around trail rig with custom bumpers rock sliders and roof rack with lights all the way around.

Would it be possible to get custom gears cut for the low range in the D/R to make it true low range and not just slightly lower than high range. i know i could just get a transfer case from another rig but i would like to keep it all subaru and do something unique

Well like I said if it helps any. And mine isn't lifted just for bigger tires I use mine for wheelin all the time and it has been many very tricky places off road. And ultimately you lift a vehicle for bigger tires which is were you get your ground cleanse. Best of luck on your build hope to see it wheelin soon.

Would it be possible to get custom gears cut for the low range in the D/R to make it true low range and not just slightly lower than high range. i know i could just get a transfer case from another rig but i would like to keep it all subaru and do something unique

Sure it's possible. It's all about how much money you have an who you know. It's not going to be cheap. Probably not going to get something like that done for less than $1000 for a one-off.... much more likely that if anyone you find that's capable of doing it is willing to do it they are going to want a minimum of $10,000 for an initial order of 10 or more peices.

GD

Well after much back and forth with myself over the best way to get this project going i think im just going to pick up some forester struts and springs for the time being and put my 215/75/15's on i just got given to me for free. Then in a month or two down the road ill do a 6" SJR lift with a D/R since im having trouble finding a D/R at the moment.

Anyone have a good used clutch and pressure plate for the stock 5MT in my legacy i need something to get me by till i can get my D/R. The clutch i have is starting to slip with my stock size tires im nervous to try with bigger tires on that clutch but i might

Does anyone know how to get a hold of obk25xt. I was supposed to be getting a D/R from him but havent gotten a PM back from him in a while

Hi... Here I am....:D

Send me a PM!? I haven't heard from you either!? You back in town? Lemme know! Those trannies are just sitting up in my barn waiting for your attention! :-p

Getting the D/R this weekend(GREAT) having to wait a couple more weeks to get adapter plate(SUCKS).Getting my 215/75/15's mounted today and seeing if i can squeeze them in before i put any sort of lift on

Whos got some forester struts and springs in the $200-250 range or less for all 4

Getting the D/R this weekend(GREAT) having to wait a couple more weeks to get adapter plate(SUCKS).Getting my 215/75/15's mounted today and seeing if i can squeeze them in before i put any sort of lift on

Whos got some forester struts and springs in the $200-250 range or less for all 4

I can ship you one right now www.sjrlift.com

Yes and no. The struts will fit but the 01 Forester rear top-hats will not. And your top-hats will not fit the '01 rear springs. You will need rear top-hats from a '92 to '94.

*edit*..... not sure on the XT rear springs. They might fit your rear top hats. Probably not though. '04 STi springs will fit your 91 rear top hats.... and I think the rest of the pack didn't change back to cone springs till '06....

GD

So would i be better off just going with OB struts and springs. I was leaning towards the forester route just for the stiffer spring rate so my car doesnt squat as much if i load it up with gear for camping/work. But if it takes alot more work to make them fit ill just go with OB for a quicker simpler install.

When i get front wheel drive impreza axles for my D/R swap will i need manual or auto axles or is there even a difference between them.

This car is finally going somewhere now that my taxes are only 9 days away. The next thing i need to figure out is who to get my lift from. Ive been leaning towards the SJR route because of all the great things ive heard about there products but i have a hard time spending $900 on the lift. I would like to find something in the $600-700 range if possible but if not ill go with the known good product.

In the next month we should be getting a tube bender in my grandpas shop and im going to make custom bumpers looking similar to these for my car and might produce a couple sets if people are interested after i make the first set for my car. They will have a receiver in the front and rear bumpers and they will be sealed so i can fill them with compressed air for airing tires up out on the trail

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_vV3XhlpDEVQ/TUMaTYF2wNI/AAAAAAAAPDY/W9ZbfwGUMQo/P1010484.JPG

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx32/obk25xt/subaru/IMG_1335.jpg

ya i really like that front bumper you have on there. the only thing im going to really change is adding a skid plate and making one of the tubes an air tank on the front and rear. the first pic is kinda how im going to style the rear bumper.

do you have a ea82 fly wheel laying around i could buy from you at the same time as the D/R and rear diff

Im trying not to do any trimming and im lifting it for ground clearance to avoid getting high centered more than just to put larger tires on. Im making this into a all around trail rig with custom bumpers rock sliders and roof rack with lights all the way around.

you know that a normal lift spaces the engine and running gear away from the body right?were it not for the bigger tires you would still have the exact same ground clearance.if you want more clearance why not do a 4" lift coupled with a 1.5 -2" suspension lift,aka outback struts.

Thats the route im going now after doing more research. Im doing OB struts with a 6" body lift and 30" or 31" tires depending on price and availablity. After this weekend the only thing ill still have to order is a lift sometime middle of next week when i get the money together. The goal is to have the car done except for bumpers and lights in the next 2-3 weeks

Idk im taking it to PRE next thursday and there going to see what they can do about getting it to quite down.

What is your guys opinion on a welded center diff. Im welding the rear diff already and was thinking about welding the center diff as well and making the driveline easy to disconnect so i can drive around in front wheel drive in town and then hook up the driveline for 4x4 when i hit the trail