Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea to ej help

subarurx yo

im thinking about ditching the ea82t in my rx and getting a ej22 out of a 92 legacy at the junk yard but my question is since its a auto will the wire harness and ecu be the same a 5 spd. theres a 5 spd car there with harness and all that stuff but the hoods been off and the motors all rusty:confused:

im thinking about ditching the ea82t in my rx and getting a ej22 out of a 92 legacy at the junk yard but my question is since its a auto will the wire harness and ecu be the same a 5 spd. theres a 5 spd car there with harness and all that stuff but the hoods been off and the motors all rusty:confused:

I have an RX and am also considering ej swap. When I do that however, I planned on buying a running legacy vehicle so I'd get everything. Afterwards part out what's left, and scrap the shell to make some money back. And running legacies are very cheap these days. Junkyard engines :-/ whole Lotta work involved for something you haven't heard run. Just my thoughts on it.

But it will throw codes and may not behave itself all the time. They like to be pissy about idle speeds, etc.

GD

Uhh.... no codes if you do it right.

I've used 3 Auto ECU's now.

NO CODES.

You have to do one of two things:

1) cut the AT/MT discrimination wire, and wire up the ECU correctly for a MT, with Nuetral switch (since you're RX is already MPFI, your trans should have the switch)

2) If you don't have a neutral switch, leave the AT/MT pin grounded, so it thinks it's in an Auto. Then the trick is you have to tell it it's in "P" all the time so ground the "P" pin.

Interesting.... So it won't throw codes if it sees the vss signal and the park signal at the same time? That would seem like a large oversight on the part of the software engineers. If I wrote that software I would be calling the park switch bad at that point. I guess if it works without codes that's great. Im guessing that probably wouldn't fly on the OBD-II's. I would never have thought to try that - thanks for the info.

GD

Interesting.... So it won't throw codes if it sees the vss signal and the park signal at the same time? That would seem like a large oversight on the part of the software engineers. If I wrote that software I would be calling the park switch bad at that point. I guess if it works without codes that's great. Im guessing that probably wouldn't fly on the OBD-II's. I would never have thought to try that - thanks for the info.

GD

There is an AT/MT identification wire on the '96-'99 ECUs, but you have to add a pin there for it to work.

It's absolutely possible to use -'99 EJ ECUs that came from a car with an auto with a manual without any CELs.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to jump in.. but would this hold true for 00 Legacy as well? my swaps got an AT Ecu, its got an AT Diagnosis wire.

I have the Neutral switch from the 3at jumpered (5spd D/R swap), so i'd just need to ground the AT diagnosis wire no?