Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I hate sensors!!

What problem do you have and what code is the ECU spitting out? It sounds like you're just throwing parts at it.

Its cutting out and stalling out like dead, then once you start it up it runs perfect untill it under a load the only code its throughing is the vss. at this point all we can do is through parts at it because thats all we got, timing is on and everthing its where it belongs just runs all funky under a load. Think the code was 33 or 34 Richard knows witch one it was for sure but I do know that its jsut the VSS................. got an anwser to that?:rolleyes:

Jeff

It may be throwing the VSS code just because it isn't moving and generating a VSS signal. It will run fine with no vss.

Could be a fuel pump issue, but check pressure before going out and throwing one in.

Could also be a MAF sensor issue, or a weak ignition system. But check fuel pressure first.

I'm gonna ignore your wiseass comment because you're obviously stressed out by this issue.

Plenty of spark and plenty of fuel... its a sensor issue im sure of it. the symptoms of a vss are almost the same as the tps. on a previous post i explained this hesitation issue and was told to test my tps. So I made the choice to just replace it and see if there's a change. So maybe "throwing parts at it" isn't the correct phrase. I've spent a lot if time under this hood and with the help of the fsm I norrowed it down to a sensor... or at least the communication between a sensor and the ecu. Its probably something simple and I will figure it out. but for now my code is for the vss and that's my next move so if anyone has one to part with id like to know

Richard

post your problems/symptoms over at http://www.subaruxt.com/forum and they will surely tell you EXACTLY what the problem is.

also, its been said, but you didnt respond if you did it or not. the coolant temp sensor right next to the thermostat housing is NOTORIOUS for causing havoc in these cars when the plug gets corroded. sometimes the wires themselves upwards of 6inches into the harness are bad. check that, clean it, wiggle the wires with it running etc. if u see any change, then clean/replace that plug and cut the wires back far enough so theres no green corrosion in them!

my first xt6 went in to the shop for a clutch replacement, b4 i had the skillz to do it myself, and when the mechanic put the engine back in it would barely run, had no power, etc... ended up being the damn temp sensor wiring, once changed never another problem... just sayin

Edited by themoneypit

Ok I'll check that... that does make very good sense bc when i wiggle that wire it changes the idle all screwy i already took it out and cleaned the plug but i didn't think about the wiring within the insulation I'll mess with it after work and let y'all know. Thanks for the thoughts

xt 6 has some wire ihsues the wire harness is so long that they get voltage drop on ecu check that you have better than 12 volts at ecu last one i had trubble with was only geting 8.5 volts by the time it goto ecu and have seen some burt ecus cause of thiss add a ground to engine to firewall ground from body to ecu check power distrbution undr hood i doubt you have any sensor problems i have two xt6 engines on the ground if need somting oh and check alt voltage cant be more than 14.20 any more than that alt is overcharging

Ok I'll check that... that does make very good sense bc when i wiggle that wire it changes the idle all screwy i already took it out and cleaned the plug but i didn't think about the wiring within the insulation I'll mess with it after work and let y'all know. Thanks for the thoughts

i bet thats your problem then. easiest way is to unplug that, and the oil pressure sending unit wire from the sending unit, and pull that part of the harness out behind the intake, undo the loom/tape and keep cutting the wires for CTS sensor back until you find nice clean wire. then you can solder new wires onto the sensor, put male/female connectors on them and connect it back up to the wiring harness. UNLESS you can find a (i believe) gen 1 legacy that has the same plug but it makes a better seal, if you find one in a junk yard (bring your sensor with you) then cut it off of a junkyard motor and splice a whole new plug into it.

Sounds like what my gl10 was doing with a bad Maf sensor... Have you tested it yet? A voltmeter will keep a lot of money in your pocket.. Ask me how I know lol

a bad CTS harness/plug on an xt6 mimicks MANY other faulty parts, and many people throw parts at them not knowing its as simple as fixing a couple wires. im willing to bet he will post back all happy that the car is fixed once he replaces that corroded wire harness.

I had to do that on mine too. Mine were really corroded but in the end it was a leaking intake pipe then It was a bad Maf now it has some kind of leak in the exhaust.. Kinda nice how my car likes to start new problems right after the first ones get fixed. :horse:

Seriously, I just about sent my Loyale to the yard. I had similar problems with stumbling under load, stalling and then it just quit. The car threw about eight codes from irregular injector output, EGR, VSS, neutral circuit to all sorts of other stuff. I could not get it started for the life of me. I checked everything, most everything was new anyway. The one thing I missed was the coil wire. It was the old one and it was corroded at one end. I replaced it with a new one and BAM! fired right up. No power issues, no codes, perfect. Weird ************, but seriously, fix the easy stuff first.

Seriously, I just about sent my Loyale to the yard. I had similar problems with stumbling under load, stalling and then it just quit. The car threw about eight codes from irregular injector output, EGR, VSS, neutral circuit to all sorts of other stuff. I could not get it started for the life of me. I checked everything, most everything was new anyway. The one thing I missed was the coil wire. It was the old one and it was corroded at one end. I replaced it with a new one and BAM! fired right up. No power issues, no codes, perfect. Weird ************, but seriously, fix the easy stuff first.

exactly. its amazing what some corrosion does to these cars, makes the ecu's and everything act stupid... i cant wait till he posts back to see if fixing his harness did the trick..

I doubt this trouble is due to a sensor problem unless it is with the MAF or CTS sensors. Another thing to check out that seems to have been missed so far is a faulty Ignition Relay. Restarting the car could correct bad relay contacts.

dose anyone actualy meshure anything or just gess ? voltage drop dose not lie trust your multi meter gessing cerates more problems

its not guessing, its experience... he stated when he wiggles the wires for the CTS it makes the idle jump and go crazy... HELLO, theres your problem lmao, no tester needed

dose anyone actualy meshure anything or just gess ? voltage drop dose not lie trust your multi meter gessing cerates more problems

+1

Then, if you do see a voltage drop on the 12v leads to sensors and injectors here's were to look next.

anytime I have weird running issues with an XT/XT6 I pull the passenger side seat and carpet, and inspect the wiring that runs along the rocker. Espescially the 4/6 Injector wires. there are a few crimp junctions, wrapped in tape, that like to get corroded and seperate.

belive me i fixed my share of bad coolant sensors and harness but you dont learn anything if you dont meshure how whould he know what is going on or what he should see if you dont meshure it and the one thing ive leaned after doing subarus for 15 years is never expect to see the same problem on the same model of car it dose happen but evry car is an indavidual

so howd you make out? im guessing no news is good news??

so howd you make out? im guessing no news is good news??

Sorry. No ive yet to get it running. I had it diagnosed and they told me it was the feul pump... so i replaced it. but while doing that i noticed that feul doesnt pour out of the flow line directly from the tank. So i removed the float and flashlit inside and. saw rust flakes, lots of em. So im thinking the in tank filter screen is sorta clogged and im planning on removing it and hopefully theirs an inspection hole besides the float hole... but i found another xt6 tank for 25$ so thats my plan... to think it may not have been a sensor issue makes me relieved but annoyed at the same time