Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1973 GSR Magazine Comparison

Excellent! I think I have this too , bought it from the UK when I was Coupe-happy.

We got 'em on top speed !!!

And we have the "unanimously voted" most UNcomfortable seats. :rolleyes:

Hence , the several stops required if going on long trips like to Carlisle for the big show for all old gen. Subarus.

Leeroy did you buy the GSR at seaford that was on ebay last week, I looked at it on the last day of bidding, was dissapointed that it didnt ave the original motor. The guy also said his son has a 1400 gft with he twin carb and 5 speed. I hadnt seen it but asked if i could have first refusal if he ever sells it.

Cheers Thierry

@ maudsland... I did bid and win the auction for the GSR but decided I did not really need another one! The owner was nice enough to let me out of the deal (it needed to be picked up straight away, which I could not do) and he has managed to sell it to someone else, for more money than the eBay auction.

Yes the fact the engine was not original (single not dual exhaust ports - therefore unlikely to have the GSR cam and hotter bits) put me off quite a bit.

I also have a GSR (brought from the same seller several years ago) plus two GL coupes (all 1974 models!?!) which was the ultimate reason for not going through with the deal. Hopefully someone else will get this one back on road.

I actually spoke with the sellers son when I picked up the GSR but found him reluctant to talk about his GFT. The seller had a shed full of early Subarus and parts (all I took was the GSR rolling shell and a complete GL coupe - there was a very early 2wd wagon too) as I simply had no where to store it all. Such a shame as most of it would have been crushed I am sure! There was also an early 5 speed gearbox but there was no way they were going to sell that (kept for the son's GFT as a spare). :(

Great read! Read the whole thing :)

Makes me want a GSR so bad...

Its also interesting how the Celica is now by far the most desirable of the three.

I think there are far more Celica's around then Subaru GSR's. That might be the reason they are more desirable. Just speculating:)

Nice post mate. Read with interest.

I was wondering who the coupe went for. I thought of buying the GFT (its practically next door to me), but have two cars in garage and two in driveway already, so no room :(.

funny thing about this article for one i own a datsun 610 (180b in the article) not sure how the early engine differs from my later motor in my wagon but the l20b in my datsun pulls alot harder then the ea71 in my wagon even if you subtract the weight issue and put it in a coupe i dont see how an ea71 could ever out perform the datsun

There is quite a bit of diffence between the GSR 1400 motor and a 1600 heck even a 1800 NA EA81.

My GSR was totally original. Motor must not had been touch for 20 or years.

Carbs leaked a bit. Some times wouldnt run rite. ( probley crap in the tank being stired up )

Fearly worn and a bit rust in the body.

I drrove it from the top of the north Island to Chch in the South Island.

And campaired to any of my other EA powered cars 1400DL Brumbys Leones Omegas the motor had nothing on them .

The GSR was one of the Best cars I have ever driven.

Handled Fantasicly, Still fast for its age, Higher reving...

Man I miss not driving it. It needs to be restored.

Fancy heads? Whats different in the heads? Arnt they the same as all 1400 duel port heads?

I cant quite remember? Didnt most of the early 1400 engines single port, And GSR was dual port?

I forgot but it also has sports exhaust aswell,

Talking to SUBGSR years ago I think he said the hot cam was only fitted to the 72 and 73 GSRs

I looking up my manual at the mo...

Heres a quick we blurb on GSR motor

With improvements in cylinder head design, the valve clearance, Spark retard characteristics of the distributor and carburetor setting are changed.

Edited by kiwi subbie