Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Squealing pulley/belt and weird mph issue

I've got a 1995 Legacy outback 5MT. No matter what gear I am in, my car starts to squeal at 4K RPMs. All of the belts were just done a few thousand miles ago and then checked. The squeal started When the weather started to get warmer and it is not getting any louder yet. It always happens at 4K rpm and disappears at 4.5K RPMs. I'd like to say it's a pulley. I have no clue how to figure out which pulley it is though. Can this be fixed with a little WD40 in the right spot?

The engine has 127K miles. Timing belt was done at 118K by a professional mechanic. I have no idea if he did the timing idlers. I could ask him, but he may not remember. I hope it's not in the timing belt area. The belts were "checked" at 123K because the alternator belt put on was too long and began squealing when the car started.

I have another issue. This isn't serious, but it's strange. Whenever I travel under 10 mph, the meter bounces around 20 mph. I have no clue what is causing this. It happens in 1st and Second gear. I haven't tested neutral or higher gears, but I'm pretty sure it still happens.

Please forgive me for taking a video while driving in traffic.

Link to the video:

Mph problem

I have another issue. This isn't serious, but it's strange. Whenever I travel under 10 mph, the meter bounces around 20 mph. I have no clue what is causing this. It happens in 1st and Second gear. I haven't tested neutral or higher gears, but I'm pretty sure it still happens.

Please forgive me for taking a video while driving in traffic.

Link to the video:

Mph problem

I have no idea what this is, but my 96 5mt used to do that. I've never ever heard of anyone else having that issue.

When driving in 15mph school zones (which I did every week day for almost 2 years), it would jump around.

It started randomly one day, and almost a year and a half later, it randomly stopped.

Never caused an issue otherwise, over about 15 or 20 it would work normally.

It's been a long time, and I've never heard another account of it.

sorry, can someone please move this thread so it can get more responses?

@ 987687

What you are describing is my exact issue. If anyone knows how to fix it, please let me know?

Driving last night I noticed a constant somewhat quiet whine that was masked by my loud music. No matter what gear I was in, the wine would remain constant. Pressing on the gas Made it louder. Putting it in neutral after pressing the gas made it quiet down to it's constant wine.

I saw a youtube video of old timing belt idlers. The sound is comparable to that.

Should I be worried about having squeaky pulleys? What is the worst that can happen from them?

1995 EJ22 127K miles.

Rather than using WD40, go to any auto parts store and try a can of the so called belt dressing. I've found that to work well for squealing issues when I know the belt is properly tensioned.

Another possibility might be the belt itself. I use either OEM belts or belts manufactured by Gates. Never needed to use belt dressing when using these belts.

Rather than using WD40, go to any auto parts store and try a can of the so called belt dressing. I've found that to work well for squealing issues when I know the belt is properly tensioned.

Another possibility might be the belt itself. I use either OEM belts or belts manufactured by Gates. Never needed to use belt dressing when using these belts.

^^^^good advice, if using the belt dressing on the belt DOESN'T improve things immediately, let us know for other possible suggestions.

Forget belt dressing and WD40.They are junk.

Check belt tension first.

Determine whether the noise is coming from the accessory belt(s) by either running the motor w/them removed(check the idlers for rough bearings while the belt is off) or rubbing a little hand soap on them.

If the squeal disappears after soap application,you can be certain that belt is the squealer.

Also check for a wobbley crankshaft pulley.

Just finished repairing a non-sube w/belt squeal due to a bad crank pulley.

If it remains noisy,problem might be the timing belt idlers.

Edited by naru

about the mph meter issue. I fixed it. Don't ask who what where when why or how, but I managed to accelerate up to 112mph where the governor kicks in. My speedometer now always reports the correct speed.

Hmm, interesting. Now that you mention it, I may have hit the governor the weekend before it started reading correctly again.

I don't get why they put a 140mph speedo in these with a 112 governor, but the GT has a 120mph speedo and can go like 150.... Just making sure my speedo reads correctly, you know. Preventative maintenance.