Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This winter I replaced my head gaskets so all of ac fluid leaked out. I just bought some more to fill it up but when i try to fill it the guage says that there is to much pressure in the system and I can get any refrigerant in the system. When I turn the ac button on the light turns on but I don't feel it put any strein on the engine like it normally does when you turn on the ac. Any ideas on why this LGBT be happening. It's getting hot here and I really need some ac. Thanks all!

I'm pretty sure you have to pull a vacuum on the system to get all the air and moisture out, then charge with the correct amount of refrigerant. If you force the system to run, you will most certainly damage the compressor. This sounds like a good case for a professional with A/C servicing equipment.

Jim

i have a similar problem wirth my 01. i have checked the ''fuses / relays'' in the fuse box under the hood and they are not the problem.

next i should check inside fuses, if any.

BUT i suspect the ''automatic'' HVAC control unit in the dash OR, MORE LIKELY, the after market radio the previous owner installed. it is amazing how many radio installs screw up something else.

for those not familiar with the ''automatic'' hvac control, you dial in the temp you want and the system turns on heat, fan or AC as needed to maintain the temp chosen. new to me but not to owners of ''new cars''. my 01 H6 is my ''newest'' car.

keep us informed hopefully yours is an easy fix.

*slow down people* he doesn't need to take it to a shop. if the info you typed is accurate then this is a really easy fix.

This winter I replaced my head gaskets so all of ac fluid leaked out.
this implies that the AC *was* properly working. so - we can assume everything is working properly if this is accurate.

when i try to fill it the guage says that there is to much pressure
if your bathtub is overflowing would you add more water? i'm confused.

it's over filled - therefore let refrigerant OUT, don't put more IN?

I can get any refrigerant in the system.
right - if it's full why would you expect, want, or try to add more?

When I turn the ac button on the light turns on but I don't feel it put any strein on the engine like it normally does when you turn on the ac.
when the system is improperly pressurized it won't turn on. it's not supposed to.

all you need is a proper charge in the system, so if it's overfilled, let some out.

if you want a run down on sealing any leaky systems I did a write up on SubaruOutback.org that I'll submit here shortly...edit I just submitted it here and changed it to the USMB link. Subaru A/C systems are extremely robust, easy to work on, and hardly ever require expensive repairs.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1102613#post1102613

Edited by grossgary

Thanks you grossgary. Everything is correct but with the pressure. I have let all of the pressure out of it. There was nothing to begin with and when i put the can on for the first time the gauge was in the red and it didn't let much 134 into the system. After that I did press on the valve and let out everything that was I. the system. wasnt much, just what I had just put in. Less then a quarter of a can. I'm guessing the pressure was high because there was air in the system and the 134 was just staying in the hose and not moving through the system.

I'm renting a pump from AutoZone for free this weekend and will try to fill it while pulling a vacuum. Everything worked great before the engine removal so it has got to be the lack of a vacuum. Going to replace seals as well since I had a very small leak before.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks!

the sensor on top the A/C is plugged in right? just making sure something else isn't going on.

was the engine running while you were filling it?

be sure you have the engine running with the A/C on high while filling.

if it didn't take refrigerant then that is strange - they should take a charge even if there's air in the system, i've never seen that happen.

often times while charging i'll depress the other side for a while and let the pressure in the cans push out a little air when i first start charging. a ghetto way to *maybe* get some air out. but it works fine without doing that too.

i have a vacuum puller too but i don't even bothering getting it out and setting it up because i've never noticed a difference between having a vacuum pulled and not. i haven't used it in at least 6 years since i moved, don't even know where it is.

if you rent one - pull the vacuum for awhile, not just a few minutes like when charging it. i think the idea is that once the pressure is really low in the lines it allows any moisture in the lines to boil off and come out as well. somehow it aids moisture coming out, not just creating a vacuum, so you pull the vacuum longer than you'd guess. it should come with directions or you can google it.