Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 flywheel question

im swapping to ej and i was wondering what kind of cast it is since i will be welding the holes and redrilling since i only found one shop that would mill for $120 and thats too much and a place told me 50 bucks for a dremal bit. so i was thinking i could do it at school, there isnt a mill but we got mig tig and stick welders. any suggestions?

I woundnt weld the holes up! Welding them changed the molecules structure of the metal and makes it even harder to drill. I just redrilled my ea flywheel for my ej22, took me a while but did it really nice. You going to want to get the little ej (templet) peice that comes off when you take the ej clutch or tqv off. It's a spacer with all the holes your going to be drilling. I have one laying around I could sell you for a couple bucks if you can't find it. All re drilling is its offsetting the ea holes outward to fit the ej, the ej is a larger diameter. Look at sjrs pictures of his redrilled ones to see what I'm talking about. And google images would have this too.

:update this is what your doping to be doing. -sjr's

EA_to_EJ_resurfa_4b144e6367ff5.jpg

The holes don't need to be welded up.

I uses a cone dremml bit in a drill press, worked great after I figured out the right method. The dremml it self was large and eat the entire hole for me. But depending on what kind of dremml you have.

Hope this help! Sjr does it for 95$ i think? Not to bad. But not bad doing it your self either if you have the time.

Hope this help!

-Prwa

Edited by Prwa101

The bolt holes don't have to be perfect, as the bolts don't transfer the power of the engine to the flywheel. They just clamp the flywheel to the end of the crank, and it's the friction between the surface of the crank and the surface of the flywheel that does the work.

I've done them with a dremel and a $15 carbide bit.

I personally find the smaller ones work better.

Make steady passes removing just abit of material each time. If you get impatient and try to "dig in" too much it will just overheat the bit, and the dremel.

If you go slow and steady, it takes about 2-3 hours to do all the holes.

i know that knowone recomended it but i welded the holes shut and drilled new ones i tack welded the template and drilled in between the welds and it turned out ok it did take a while due to dulling the bit 15 times but i wanted to see if it could be done