Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I got wheels!!!

I finally found some wheels!!

I never really liked the hub caps, and have always wanted to do away with them, but I couldn’t seem to find a decent set of wheels to replace these old ugly steelies.

th_102_2526-1.jpg

That is, until today.

I found these wheels on craigslist for 50 bucks:

th_108_2530.jpg

The tires are pretty nice to, although I am going to chuck the tires, they got some pretty good tread on them though.

Now I need to either clean the wheels up, or get them cleaned and polished, and then I somehow need to come up with a set of center caps that fit, then I can mount some new tires on them, and put them on the car.

At least I’m off to a good start, I got a nice set of wheels to work with now :D

Next challenge, finding center caps … oh yeah, and chrome acorn lug nuts, gotta find chrome acorn lug nuts.

I heard that Les Schwab will actually take steelies and drill them for you so in an hour or so I'm gonna check up on that... But seriously the search for wheels is way to damn hard haha

I can guarantee that Les Schwab is not going to drill wheels for you.

TheLoyale: thanks for the acorn nut size, I'll order a set off ebay

I figured out what center caps it's supposed to have, the part number is 860729

and they look like the ones in the picture, so if anyone has any hanging around that they would like to sell, let me know, they need to look like the ones in the pictures, and the part number on the back has to read "860729"

Edited by Stubies Subie

Any Subaru lug nut will work. You could even pocket ones from a Junkyard Legacy as all EJ cars have chrome acorns.

As for center caps, newer Subaru wheels (16") have flat center caps like that, I wonder if they are indeed the same size. I bet they would clip in!

Any Subaru lug nut will work. You could even pocket ones from a Junkyard Legacy as all EJ cars have chrome acorns.

As for center caps, newer Subaru wheels (16") have flat center caps like that, I wonder if they are indeed the same size. I bet they would clip in!

there's one nice on on ebay right now I was thinking of buying, but it's 15 bucks shipped, and it's only for 1, which means I'd still have to find 3 more

I can get a set of lug nuts off ebay for $14.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-LUG-NUTS-BULGE-ACORN-12x1-25-NISSAN-SUBARU-SUZUKI-/260844868717?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cbb90d46d&vxp=mtr

Edited by Stubies Subie

I was looking at this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-WHEEL-CENTER-CAP-1-860729-/160699070095?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item256a69368f&vxp=mtr

I think it's clean enough that it would look ok once I get the wheels polished up, but then I'd still need to find 3 more.

I would mind some of the cheaper center caps if I could somehow get them to stay on the wheel without coming loose or falling off

I bought this kit from Amazon for @$25. Still to install, however (once I source the right 13" wheels). It has gone up in price now. However, includes lugs, locks and tire valves. They also sell this for 5- and 6-lug set-ups. Your standard lug wrench may not work with these.

http://www.amazon.com/McGard-84454-Chrome-Installation-Thread/dp/B000A8JD1O/ref=sr_1_11?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1336733367&sr=1-11

• 2 weeks later...

I found a full set of center caps, I ended up with 6, I got a couple off ebay, and a nice set of 4 from the sucker king, (thanks bud :D)

I’m going to clean up all 6 center caps, and use the best 4, so I sould come up with a nearly flawless set.

Next up is to finish dismounting the tires, and give the rims a good clean up/polish, and apply a clear coat so they hold their shine, then I can go shopping for tires

I think I’m going to go looking for a new set of 185/70/13’s, just nice quality road (touring) tires.

maybe something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-185-70-13-KUMHO-SOLUS-KR21-70R-R13-TIRES-/310398242551?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Section+Width%3A185%7CAspect+Ratio%3A70%7CRim+Diameter%3A13&hash=item48452d4ef7&vxp=mtr#ht_2203wt_955

th_100_2540.jpg

The wheels that are on the car now I’ll have powder coated black, then get some trim rings (I already have a set of center caps for them) and I’ll look for a set of winter tires, or maybe some snow tires I can pull the studs out of, something I can run up and down the PNW mountain roads with and not have to worry about trashing the good tires and wheels.

I might even come up with a third set of wheels I can put some studs on for winter driving back and forth to work. (that thought has certainly been going through my head)

Edited by Stubies Subie

I got the same tires from Walmart in January. They are reasonable, long wearing tires. Due to the prices, check out your local stores, might not be worth going to DTD on this one. Here is the Wallyworld link:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kumho-1906313/19473787

With respect to service at Walmart, I have had no problems. They did a fine job on the Brat with these tires. I have also taken the wheels off my 08 OBS and had them dismount and install 4 Conti tires that I took in (bought from DTD). They did a great job on those as well.