Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yes!! :banana:

It is the resistor problem, specially the one with 510 number on it. After resoldering it back, My clock start working (it has been broken down for more than 6 months). if you want replace the resistor, it is 51 Ohm not 510 ohm.

Thank you guys

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is my first post to the forum so it's an intro and a "Thank you". The clock on my '01 Forester died last fall, a major pain when getting to various ice rinks and gymnasiums all over NYS and Canada.

I finally decided to pull it out last weekend, but quickly found the screw up inside the sunglasses holder wasn't the way. I Googled and within a few listings came across this thread.

Within 5 minutes the clock was out and apart on my table (switches intact as cautioned), and in another 15 minutes I had located the suspect resistor, found one lead cracked, located my soldering iron and had it fixed and back in the car working again!!

Thank you very much to all those who posted in this thread with the information needed to get the clock working again. It's great having the clock back and it didn't cost a penny!!

Now on to 20mm sway bar.

Airengineer

'01 Forester

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The 51 ohm resistor was right on the money. Just bought an '01 Forester L that had a non-functioning clock and thanks to the excellent pics and details given, my clock is now ticking along happily, making me happy. Thanks to the good folks here who have provided that info. I'm sure I'll be enjoying my stay here!

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm new, just bought a 98 Forester.

Well, I researched the threads, found this one, tried to re-solder the 500 resistor, and apparently I cannot solder at all, I couldn't get the solder to hold to the black part at all. One side has a heavy gloop of solder that connects the black square to the green part, the other part that is hard to get to as it's under the clock display and has some solder on the black resistor, but it is not connecting to the green part so I'm sure the connection is not being made in order for it to work correctly. :mad:

Whoever posted on here that they rebuild Subaru clocks, I'll send it to you. If you can fix it, send it back, I'll cover the postage. If you can't, would you have a repaired clock that fits the 98 Forester I could buy cheap? I only need the black box back, the front and bezel I have, unless you sell it all together.

Please let me know, thanks

Whoever posted on here that they rebuild Subaru clocks, I'll send it to you.

That would be Northwet. See his post above. I can attest to Northwet's honesty and fine work. He fixed my Loyale clock resistor about six years ago (for free) and I haven't had a problem since. And that was a cross-country mail transaction!

• 2 weeks later...
I helped a friend with this recently. If you know anything about electronics and take the clock apart, you'll see two square pads on the circuit board with nothing between them. The missing part is a fuse/resistor which drops the 13.8V from the car to 5V for the clock. Sometimes it burns out completely and your clock goes dead. My friend replaced it with a resistor and got his clock back. I'll see if he has a value for the resistor he used.

How do you remove the clock module? I see no screws, or plastic caps covering mounting holes, and cannot tell where [nor how hard] to press on housing sides to release catches/detents. And did your clock "fix" hold for any reasonable length of time, or is this something one has to do every year or so?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
To remove the clock simply pry the cover off using a penknife or small screwdriver, from the top. There is one connector to remove. Then pry the clock apart, be carful not to loose the 3 set buttons when they fall out. You can then check the 3 resistors on the clock board. Here's a picture.

Just wanted to say thank you very much. Isn't the internet great!! 3 yrs later and this posting is still good. I took my clock out and was able to repair it based on your picture.

Folks,

I offer a service through USMB to fix '80s Subaru clocks, but haven't offered it yet for New Gen Subarus because I didn't have an example of the clock.

After looking at this thread, and particularly the picture (thanks!) it looks like Subaru used the same clock module, just with a different circuit board.

If anyone wishes to send me there dead New Gen clock I will see about fixing it. If it is as simple as the OLD Gen clocks, then I will offer the same service for New Gen as my current Old Gen service (basically FREE... see sticky in Marketplace).

If a local (or someone really generous) wants to loan me there working clock, that would be appreciated. Otherwise, I will tear into my wife's new-to-us Legacy and take a peek.

BTW, the problem with the Old Gen are the dropping resistors for the display lighting overheat and melt their solder joints. If this happens with SMD the SMD chips would fall off.

TTFN!

Pat

NorthWet:

I sent you a PM about getting my clock module for a 2000 Forester repaired. Are you still offering this service ?

~Howard

:eek: