Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*added video* Clunk in front end when accellerating.. (i DID search, found nothing)

i do have a pitchstopper.

i'll peek around at the trans mount there, but i hear/feel it up front more so.

will have to put this on hold for a day.. IAC went bad today, cant start the car.... WHAT NEXT!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i do have a pitchstopper.

i'll peek around at the trans mount there, but i hear/feel it up front more so.

will have to put this on hold for a day.. IAC went bad today, cant start the car.... WHAT NEXT!

There might be a 2001+ EJ25 at Sturtevant.

ugh, I have the same clunk only I ONLY get it under deceleration, and only when I'm not using the brakes. IE when I'm driving along and lift off the gas to coast. I have a CV joint that I know is blown and struts that sound horrible. So those are first up to be fixed. :drunk:

ugh, I have the same clunk only I ONLY get it under deceleration, and only when I'm not using the brakes. IE when I'm driving along and lift off the gas to coast. I have a CV joint that I know is blown and struts that sound horrible. So those are first up to be fixed. :drunk:

sucks eh?

im replacin my rear suspension, will probably end up just getting new struts for the front, god i hate takin the car apart with the lift on it.

pitchbar seems to check out just fine. i tightened the front bolt a bit but it wasnt loose enough that i would have expected it to make a clunk.

• 2 weeks later...

changed out my knuckle for one with seemingly better wheel bearings, hub seemed fine so i didnt change that. i do think i have warped rotor now tho.

clunk still there. still gonna try to get a video of it.

Doesn't seem like a U-joint. I've rode in the car, and it is right around the foot well area. I don't hear any noise at speed, indicating a sloppy failing U-joint. Axles don't make any noise that I heard.

Hmm, so why the pop every now and then. I'm still thinking steering related.

Scott, I get a pop like yours every once in a while (Not as loud) but it is 100% the same! I wonder if this has to do with the lift?

Did you car ever do it before the lift? I don't remember it popping when I rode with ya.

EDIT: I wonder if the Swapbar plays a roll in this?

im pretty sure it did it before the lift. maybe its just accentuated with the lift on.

the lift blocks on the struts are tight, i know those arent moving around, and i really dont thin it would be the tophat, maybe a trip out to wadsworth tomorrow Tom? LOL.

you guys dont think my trans is goin or something do ya?? cuz that'd be lame.

is there any way to actually tell, if steeringwise, if the inner tie rods are going bad?

I also have a mystery pop evey now and then in both my ea82 cars. I still have yet to find what it is. And they are both at stock height. I have just decided to let it ride for now,

id rather not let it ride, since its happening just about everytime i take off from a stop, and i think i may have heard it as im going over a bump,

maybe it IS a CV?? but i get no clickin or anything when turning?

I could roll out to Wads if ya want. I'm only gonna clean the EA82 tomorrow evening.

You can tell the inner rods are going, if you remove your outer end from the knuckle, and push/pull on the shaft, if there is any movement, replace it. Also, they shouldn't be able to turn/rotate real easy. Think of it as a Balljoint, to easy to move, and its crap.

As for your trans, I doubt it. You have no grinding going into any gear, I don't hear any bearing noise. It could possibly be a u-joint and transferring sound, but, eh. I think it would moan at speed or something, considering its traveling at 20,000mph at 65mph ;)

Edited by TheLoyale

Crossmember shifting, That would be interesting. Although, I had my crossmember nuts loose and unthreaded almost half way down the shank once, as I forgot to tighten them up after an Axle swap. I didn't have any noises, I noticed it the next time I had the wheel off, Whoops! :-p

perhaps someone needs to hang on to the underside of the car, while moving back and forth to pin point it lol... I am not gonna volunteer for that one, Scott. :clap:

Ugh yep thats the SAME clunk I get when I lift off the gas. Mine seems to come from the passenger front strut/axel area. I just got my new EMPI axel in the mail yesterday I'll see if it goes away after swapping.