Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Broken key in ignition

Ok so my old key broke in my ignition on my 79 brat... About half the key. I have spares already so I can still lock my doors and the ignition still turns over with the other half key in it so I can still drive it. Soooo any ideas of how to get it broken half key out without taking it to a locksmith first or just bite the bullet and take it to a lockssmith????? Any suggestions would be apreciated...

Ok so my old key broke in my ignition on my 79 brat... About half the key. I have spares already so I can still lock my doors and the ignition still turns over with the other half key in it so I can still drive it. Soooo any ideas of how to get it broken half key out without taking it to a locksmith first or just bite the bullet and take it to a lockssmith????? Any suggestions would be apreciated...

you should just sell me your Brat cheap, then you no longer have the key problem...

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I just had ignition problems in my 1980 brat the other day, I had to take the whole back of the ignition tumbler off and re-solder the connections. The back of the tumbler comes off with just one tiny phillips screw, then I think you could poke it out from the back, reinstall and put the screw back in.

Well I tried to get it out with some sowing needles taped to my needle nose pliers and I couldnt seem to grasp on it at all. More seggestions please. Ill probably take it to my mechanic and see if he has a tool that might help get it out.

No Tommy , you want to have one in each hand and prick the points up and down into the key and pry it out. You can probably even do one side at a time going a little at a time. I've done this , it works. You can pivot the prying needle against the key slot as you have the point jammed into the key shaft.

How far is it in the ignition? I would just use needle-nose pliers or tweezers...

Or if you have some patience and its REALLY in there... Put some super glue on the end of an old flat-head screw driver and stick it to the key, use a blow dryer for about 3 mins on it (or find a way to support it so it doesnt fall)

When its dry, pull it out... Worked in my 85 DL and 68 Buick Skylark... just dont gob the glue on or you can get it stuck to other pieces and then youre really in trouble :(

Ive been there but i usually just grab my handy dandy lock pick set and get out the "broken key extractor" works quite well. Its like a thin blade with a barb on the end. It slips past the key and the barb grabs the key teeth

img0257rc.jpg

You could probably make one out of something. maybe a hacksaw blade?

This is where i got my tools-->http://www.lockpicktools.com

not sure if its helpful at all but thats my solution.

btw lock picks are not illegal to have. they are only illegal if used in a crime. bump keys however are locksmith only.

Edited by AKghandi