Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Not sure how much, but I've heard it's a pretty good swap and worth it. (never done it though)

Or if you really want to do some damage, do an EJ swap. Waaaaaay more power!

would but i think just swapping the intake would be cheaper and i dot have to get it bar certified by the state. but that's why im asking

Makes Sence, yeah I'm from Oregon didn't see your in Cali. Search google for the swap, there a few good links. Good luck!

-prwa

ya cali is pretty strict on stuff like that so its still just a thought in my head tired of fighting my Hitachi. nice to see another west-coaster

Unless they do a visual inspection prior to getting smogged, there is nothing to worry about as an EJ swap running crappy will still be better than an EA81 injected. As for getting more power on an EJ, that's a toss up. Put EA82 pistons in the 81, put the injection on, regrind the cam, change to the Mazda injector and run a Megasquirt system and you can push close to 200hp. It's only cheaper if you can do all the work except machining yourself, but more power. Not against EJ. Doing one in my XTGL10, but keep the Brat 'stock' and doing the build.

and you can push close to 200hp.

That's being generous, and optimistic, hopeful, and perhaps even delusional.

I'm going to be swapping SPFI to my EA-81, I've done the EJ route, and it really is a night and day difference, but I'm trying to eek out some good fuel econ with the EA-81, and I think SPFI will do better on the 1.8 then MPFI will do with an EJ

I would think twice before you go with a modified cam on an EA81 with the SPFI swap. Although it makes great power for what it is, sorting out the drive-ability issues might just drive you insane. After doing just about EVERY normally aspirated mod you can possibly do to an EA81 it still won't even come close to a stock EJ22 in my opinion.

Edited by Crazyeights

Not trying to dismiss anyone's knowledge of the EA81 because there are those here who know more than I do, but I have been building high horsepower engines for 20 years and getting power people said shouldn't be had. Of course that's not always the case. I've pulled 400 HP and 500ftlbs of torque out a SB 400, 300 HP out of a Chevy 250CID and so on and so on. Yes, there can be driveabilty issues, however I have a degree in electronics and I am a driveability tech. Using the Megasquirt system allows for all the tuning you need with a laptop to work the bugs out. The information I've gathered shows the case, crank and rods will take the bump. That 200 is optimistic and the upper limit, but I assure you with the proper tweaking and machining, I will come close. I'm only doing just to do it. That and I want more power out of my Brat without changing the original configuration drastically. I'm almost done with the restoration and a few here have seen it and agree it's in the top of the nicest they've seen. I agree the EJ is the best, easiest way to go, no question. That's why I have one sitting for my 87.5 XTGL10. Just have to try pushing the limit of the EA. :lol:

Oh, I'm using the hot wire MAF system. Less bugs that way and if airflow becomes an issue, you swap in a turbo MAF or something slightly larger from another platform. Again, Megasquirt allows you to tune it....

It sounds like it's going to be a great build! I even collected a couple sets of multi-port EA81 heads for my next EA build or two, but I haven't taken it any further yet. RAM-Performance will take your stock EA81 heads and drill/weld fuel injector bungs on them, and the price isn't bad either considering. They will even do Stainless Steel valves and HP springs if needed.

Don't get me wrong I loved the EA81 I built, but with as many performance mods as I did to it the stock SPFI just wasn't up to the task. I would still be driving it now but it ate the cam.

Here is a picture of it just before it went in.

Noisy Built EA81

its nice to see i started a good discussion on fi. the only reason I am putting fi on mine is so i don't have to deal with the p.i.t.a. Hitachi carb and because I'm in ca i cant just throw on a Weber and I'm not up to the task of pulling the motor yet but when i do i will throw an ej turbo but i just need a car to get me to work and school.