Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Did this fly off my car? - Pics inside

Hey guys,

Just got my car serviced today.

Oil pan and gasket replaced

Driver side CV axle replaced

Transmission fluid and filter

On the drive home, I was feeling an occasional clunk under my left foot when going over bumps. Then while making a left turn, I hear the sound of steel against the concrete and it seemed to be from something that fell off my car. At first I thought it was a tool forgotten in my engine bay. But when I got out to inspect it, I found these 2 pieces of solid steel.

Is this part of my car or am I an idiot who just rolled over this stuff?

I appreciate your insight.

Cheers!

Link to pic

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/4852/imag0366o.jpg

The pieces seem the same thickness as my springs but I checked both front springs and they seem ok. Maybe its from the rear.

I was also able to drive home for about 2 minutes without any noticeable effects.

I'm guessing its unsafe to keep driving like this. Gonna have to get it back to the shop real soon.

Thanks guys.

Here's another pic for perspective on size.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/6993/imag0368hh.jpg

I find it odd that the mechanic didn't notice this with the car on the lift and while replacing the axle. I had even asked that he inspect the front suspension for worn bushings, etc.

Edited by IdiotSavant

The pieces seem the same thickness as my springs but I checked both front springs and they seem ok. Maybe its from the rear.

I was also able to drive home for about 2 minutes without any noticeable effects.

I'm guessing its unsafe to keep driving like this. Gonna have to get it back to the shop real soon.

Thanks guys.

Here's another pic for perspective on size.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/6993/imag0368hh.jpg

I find it odd that the mechanic didn't notice this with the car on the lift and while replacing the axle. I had even asked that he inspect the front suspension for worn bushings, etc.

I am thinking the spring was perhaps cracked at the time you had it to the mechanic, but had not broken into pieces, so the mechanic would not have been able to spot the trouble.

it seems weird both ends would break off at the same time?

and they look in the one pic like different thicknesses?

it would seem someone set them down and forgot them

while maybe helping your mechanic?

but get it checked. I always get used struts with springs

for like 50 bucks. Try to get mileage on them.

Why were you getting the oil pan replaced?

Just wondering.

The oil pan was rusted and causing a leak. Oil was seeping through there and also from the oil pressure switch.

Upon closer inspection the spring seems to be from the rear passenger side as it's sitting lower than the rest of the car. Still doesn't explain the clunking I was feeling on my left foot while driving that day.

I'm going to replace all the struts, springs and mounts this week. It's been an expensive year for the subaru so far. Timing belt and all related parts, CV axles, oil pan, brakes and now suspension. Now if only my head gaskets blow, I'm all set! :)

The oil pan was rusted and causing a leak. Oil was seeping through there and also from the oil pressure switch.

Upon closer inspection the spring seems to be from the rear passenger side as it's sitting lower than the rest of the car. Still doesn't explain the clunking I was feeling on my left foot while driving that day.

I'm going to replace all the struts, springs and mounts this week. It's been an expensive year for the subaru so far. Timing belt and all related parts, CV axles, oil pan, brakes and now suspension. Now if only my head gaskets blow, I'm all set! :)

Latest HG posts seem to indicate that your wishes will eventually come true:banghead:

I can't seem to find a decent new spring/strut/mount setup that will cost less than $1000 installed.

Now looking into used suspensions from a '02-'07 WRX. From reading up online, it appears that these would be a direct bolt-on fit. BTW, I own a BD 99 Legacy GT.

Can anyone please confirm that the WRX setup would fit without any additional parts/modifications?

The asking price for these suspensions around my area is between $100 - $300 and I'm guessing it shouldn't be more than 2-3 hours for installation at a shop. I think this is my best option for the time being.

Thoughts?

Somewhere along the line the top mounts on the rear struts changed, but I don't recall exactly when. This would have to be swapped if they are different, but otherwise they will fit just fine, though your ride height may be lower. Maybe I'm blind, did yOu ever say what kind of car this is?