Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 legacy auto dies occasionally while braking.

The car has a significant torque bind. By that I mean it feels like a truck in 4wd when in turns and brakes. The tranny has been replaced with a used one. The problem was With me before the the swap. The car will occasionally stall when I come to a stop at a red light. When it does this it will not restart for 5 to 10 min. I have been told to try the coolant temp sensor. I replaced it no change. Please help. Thanks

See if the engine will start up when you spray a little starter fluid into the intake. If it does start then you most likely have a fuel problem. Replace the fuel filter and hopefully that will fix it. If that doesn't help then the fuel pump may have a problem. If the starter fluid has no effect then check the ignition for a problem. Check the power to it first.

For the torque bind issue you may need to have a shop look at the trouble.

i like the isea of a bad sensor. my 95 legacy is doggy and started to stall at stops. i suspect maybe the knock or temp soensor. she finally threw a check engine lite the other day, but i still have to pull a code.

Stalling at a stop is not running perfectly fine. If one hasnt been done in the last 3 years one should be to give a good baseline.

ALso not a bad idea to chase down simple things first that are not a waste of money.

The engine has been rebuilt. And runs perfectly. Every 20 to 60 miles, it will just die. Always while braking to a stop. It doesn't shudder or feel weird in any way other than it is no longer running. It will turn over but not fire for 5 to 20 min then start and run fine. Thereis no cel. I want to replace the fuel pump relay but can't find it in my repair manual. Is a fuel pump a likely cause?

Is a fuel pump a likely cause?

If we have already ruled out some type of drivetrain binding, then my suspicion would be the fuel pump.

Do you have a full tank vs. an near empty tank? Does the stalling happen differently between the two tank conditions?

When it stalls and you try to restart, try to listen for the fuel pump near the left rear seat. You might need a friend to help start the car while you listen to the pump.

My Legacy was difficult to start when the pump started to let go. Then one day the fuel pump totally let go and the car simply would not start..

Also, on my 1989 VW Cabriolet, the car started to run terribly. It would stall occasionally at first but then spool up again without a restart. The situation deteriorated to the point that the car became harder and harder to keep running between stalls. Finally it wouldn't cooperate at all. Amusingly, if you beat on the pump with a tire iron from the top of the fuel tank and let it cool down (if it is a crazy hot day), you can make the pump spin a bit more and inch your way home.