Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have been looking for an Outback but have not paid much attention to the L.L. Bean editions with the 3.0L 6cyl.

From reading I see these make great power and do not suffer from the HG issues the 2.5L did. Anything else you can tell me about them? How are they holding up? How is the MPG compared to the 2.5? Timing belts in them?

I have been looking for an Outback but have not paid much attention to the L.L. Bean editions with the 3.0L 6cyl.

From reading I see these make great power and do not suffer from the HG issues the 2.5L did. Anything else you can tell me about them? How are they holding up? How is the MPG compared to the 2.5? Timing belts in them?

they have a chain. problems with that system seem rare.

HG problems seem extremely rare.

WE've never gotten better than 26 mpg on the highway - 25 is more the norm. Around town about 20 (we have an 03 H6 OBW with weather package, not LL Bean, but similar)

we run premium fuel - as the manual suggests

the known common problems are fairly easy to deal with; Wind noise, power steering noise, valve cover gasket leaks, serpentine pulley bearings, inner axle boot

power is up top - great for highway passing, a dog outta the hole. Extremely smooth and quiet engine.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

a dog outta the hole.

I worked for a Subaru dealer for a short time (long story) we had 4 male adults in I swore it felt like my old 1.8L I never been in the car on the highway but it was unimpressive feeling for the first time.. I would hate to see how it would be with 300 lb of audio equipment with 3 passengers.

I worked for a Subaru dealer for a short time (long story) we had 4 male adults in I swore it felt like my old 1.8L I never been in the car on the highway but it was unimpressive feeling for the first time.. I would hate to see how it would be with 300 lb of audio equipment with 3 passengers.

It isn't 'horrible', just not inspiring from a stop. Highway passing is never a problem, but when my wife and I are in the car and have her jewelry show booth stuff in the back, or any other stuff, you just don't get in a situation where you NEED to zoom from a light, cause the car won't do it.

It also has a disconcerting downshift at very high highway speeds. Front diff is a little noisy at medium speed. But it's fine for 'normal' driving. I really like driving it overall. It's glass smooth, visibility is great, rides smooth enough - even with a load, we find the seats to be comfortable, stock radio is OK, the a/c and heat is good, flipping/folding seats gives a surprisingly large amount of versatile space, parks easily. Except for the plugs, it's even pretty easy to work on.

I think it positives more than outweigh it's peculiarities.

It seems like a nice car and nice to hear from a owner that has some experience. I have a question about the LL Bean version.. I remember I think it was '04 or 05 that Subaru said it was ending the partnership with LL Bean but did they sign back up?

I had a crashed one that i took motor out of had 385000kms on origanal engine then i put turbo on it and raced it for two years the car was the best subaru iv'e seen to date big brakes posi sunroof leather nice sterio biger sway bars haveyer struts and theres no headgasket problems and no timing belt i did tear into the engine to change piston omg 167 timing cover bolts and a crazy timing chain setup this moter is very reliabble and low matanace have had to do two tranys on theese cars though like the svx it makes very good tourque and can damage the trans one had striped planatery other had blown front diff both were easaly rebiult. The ll bean is a usa model only i hear but not shure I have been fixing subarus for 16 years and i whant thiss car best one yet !!!

I have an '02 LL Bean with over 200,000 miles (heck, I bought with 204,000). We rebuilt the engine and put new tires on it.

It rides great, very smooth and comfortable. Haven't had a single trans. issue. Has all the bells & whistles, even the heated windshield!

I can use mid-grade here at altitude, but premium at lower altitudes. Around town mileage is about 23 for me, but consider the altitude has an effect on this, as well as the extra 5 lbs. of lead in my right foot.

I find acceleration to be just fine. It's almost like a turbo: REAL acceleration kicks in at about 3500 rpm. Off the line, it won't beat some cars, but it sure holds its own.

Yes, the engine is complicated, but very durable. I would definitely recommend it.

Emily

Thanks for all the replies. I just put my Jeep up for sale and hope to soon get back to Subaru. I was looking at the 2.5XT but I don't want to deal with turbo if the car lacks maintenance history. I want the extra power but never considered the 3.0. I am looking to spend around $15k so I am thinking I can get a 2007-2009 with just under 100K miles.