Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Failed Mainshaft Bearing. VIDEO and PICS!!!!!

I've been meaning to take apart this transmission for 6 months to see just how worn the mainshaft bearing really was.

It's even worse than I thought.

It's never good if this is what greets you when you open it up.

IMG_3612.jpg

Video so you can see the signs.

This was sitting in the bottom of the main case. Part of a synchro hub?

IMG_0250.jpg

Then we got to the fun stuff.

IMG_5405.jpg

All the ball bearings pretty much just fell out. One fell out and rolled down the driveway into the grass somewhere. I found it later, so it's not in this pic. The score marks on the plate are from the 5th drive gear rubbing on it.

IMG_1181.jpg

And here you can see the extreme wear on the inner race.

IMG_4287.jpg

They will but you have to recognize the sounds and realize there is a problem when it starts kicking out of 4th and 5th gear.

This one was driven after 4th and 5th were no longer able to even be engaged. PO was driving around holding the shifter just to keep it in 3rd. :Flame:

They will but you have to recognize the sounds and realize there is a problem when it starts kicking out of 4th and 5th gear.

This one was driven after 4th and 5th were no longer able to even be engaged. PO was driving around holding the shifter just to keep it in 3rd. :Flame:

Yikes! Yeah, mine was making sounds like a large window being sprayed with a hose. I never had any shifting problems or gear popping problems, not a single one, but there was no way I could ignore the fact that something was horribly wrong inside the trans. The sucky part was that the noise didn't start in earnest until 2 months after I did my clutch :horse:

In my professional opinion...it's broke.

:D

You mean I actually have to fix it now?!?! :lol:

Sawdust and duct tape fixed it right up, she's nice and quiet now... For now... :lol: [/sarcasm]

This ones going to the scrap yard, there and big gouges in several of the gears, 3rd synchro ring is ground to a pulp. Diff looks ok, but with all the chunks floating around in there it's not worth the risk/trouble of keeping. I will be hammering the bearing off to keep as a memento though! :D