Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Valve cover gasket on '96 Legacy

My sister is new to Subarus, drives about as much as the average grandmother. She went to "Oil Star" to get her oil changed and they tried to tell her that the valve cover gasket needed replacement. I used to do those, not any more. Around here mechanics charge upwards of a C-Note an hour. I told her it is nothing to really fear. Anyone have some good stuff I can run by her so she doesn't limit necessary driving? She thinks a car is an organic whole, I told her all systems are separate. She tends to look at car problems as omens....

don't believe retailers or are trying to make a buck off of services. oil changes are CHEAP because they want to drive you to their store to sell you services. it's a lure - and you're a fish, don't buy it.

you haven't mentioned smoking so it's likely not leaking. when they actually leak the oil drips down and smokes off the exhaust. they saw a wet spot, no big deal and normal, and called it a leaking gasket. they're not lying but they are using all creative license possible to make a dollar.

monitor oil level - that will tell you if it's truely "leaking" verses just wet. tell us how low the oil is after 3,000 miles.

if it's a 2.2 liter the valve cover gaskets are insanely easy to replace. any friend can do it for her. the 2.5 liters aren't hard but take a little more time and need the spark plug tube gaskets as well.

win on checking the oil regularly, its priceless!

if possible mildly pressure wash the underside of the block and valve cover gaskets, then a few days later check for fresh oil spots. do this with the engine running and be mind full of the spark plug wells and other system that can be affected by high pressure water like vacuum hoses.

lucas oil stop leak and oil stabilizer are good products to use if you have to, sticking to one brand of products is usually best.

valve cover gaskets are super easy but if the oil is coming from the timing cover or rear main then it gets pricey. that being said a slow leak that just ever so often gives off a smell but no smoke is not going to cause much of a problem. if you let it go it will but small stuff is what the stop leak products are made for! your not going to stop a leak from a gasket that's completely blown out.

my 96 lego leaks a bit of oil on the exhaustion Y but I have been using lucas stop leak and its gotten alot better. this got worse when I put a knn air filter on it blow by at 250k+ miles is a B but I'm hoping some engine restore product will help. no blue smoke.

all that said I HATE OVER SALES!

Yah I wouldn't really worry about it. There are a number of spots they like to leak oil as they get older, but as long it's not gushing, adding a quart of oil every thousand miles if that's what it takes is pretty cheap. The valve cover gaskets are easy to do. The worst those can really do is weep a bit at the bottom. The cam seals and oil pump backing plate loosening up are far more likely to cause oil leaks.

Thanks for the feedback. Her car is actually smoking enough that she is fearful and has cancelled things she wants/needs to do. Stupid, but how do you argue with irrationality? She is on a fixed income and anything like an engine light coming on or hubcap falling off makes her think the sky is falling. Subaru psychologist?

I would verify the leak source before doing anything, there are many places on a Subaru where the oil can leak. Especially if it is getting onto the exhaust.

I'm with porcupine, make sure it is the valvecover that is leaking. What kind of mileage is on the vehicle? Any service records with major repairs?

Have a great day!

Thanks for the feedback. Her car is actually smoking enough that she is fearful and has cancelled things she wants/needs to do. Stupid, but how do you argue with irrationality? She is on a fixed income and anything like an engine light coming on or hubcap falling off makes her think the sky is falling. Subaru psychologist?

I'm just going to say psychologist! if you really want to get her thinking of the cars independent systems then download a Factory Service Manual and show her! owners manual hypnotize users into thinking there car is an organic whole, IMO.

BTW is it an 4eat or 5mt?

The gaskets are easy to change on the 2.2, you just have to unbolt the air filter housing to get enough room on the passenger side, and take out the washerfluid bottle, battery and battery tray for the drivers side. Having a set of wracheting wrenches makes a quick job of removal.

When you replace the gaskets, remember to get new grommets for the bolts and new seals for the spark plug tubes.

And while the vale covers are off, it's a good idea to check the valve lash.

Don't even have to do all that. Ej22 takes 30 minutes to do both sides with a 1/4" drive ratchet and small 10mm socket. A 10mm wrench may be needed for the rear bolt on the drivers side.

Pull the breather hoses off the valve covers.

Remove the whole intake tube, breather hoses, MAF and filter box top as one section. Pull the spark plug wires off of the plugs and flop them up on top of the intake out of the way.

Remove the rear bolts entirely before loosening the others. Once you get a few turns with the ratchet/wrench they will thread out easily by hand, then loosen and remove the middle and front bolts.

The drivers side valve cover has a nifty built in handle to lift it out with.

Passenger side is easy enough to just grab with your hand.

Clean the gasket surfaces really well with a rag or brush and brake cleaner. Slip the new gasket into the groove and slide the cover back on the engine.

• Like 1

lucas oil stop leak and oil stabilizer are good products to use if you have to, sticking to one brand of products is usually best.

NO NO NO NO NO NO. Don't use that crap in your engine. It'll clog everything up. If you want it to stop leaking, actually fix the problem.

I'm just going to say psychologist! if you really want to get her thinking of the cars independent systems then download a Factory Service Manual and show her! owners manual hypnotize users into thinking there car is an organic whole, IMO.

BTW is it an 4eat or 5mt?

She has the wagon. It has under 150k on it, generally it has been reliable. Bought it from a used car dealer in Norwalk who, when the exhaust system malfunctioned within the first month, would not take responsibility so she was out the roughly $1000. I told her she should contact the state's enforcement unit, my brother thought that would traumatic so she paid it out of her limited funds.

Her current mechanic agrees with Oil Star's assessment though he didn't do any tests. I told her to just drive it without stupid fears and add oil as needed.

NO NO NO NO NO NO. Don't use that crap in your engine. It'll clog everything up. If you want it to stop leaking, actually fix the problem.

well ideally but I don't have the resources to replace a rear main.... ATM. for some people its the only option I don't use it all the time and plan on doing a drain, fill, and run with light weight oil then replace with regular oil and drive.

• 1 year later...

I went to change the spark plugs on my 2001 Legacy and the exact thing on mine. I'm glad to hear that it's fairly common and easy to fix. The oil rotted away the wire on the one boot but my father-in-law and I were able to do a bit of splicing and get it working for now.  Thanks everyone for the help, even before I needed it!

• 6 months later...

Don't even have to do all that. Ej22 takes 30 minutes to do both sides with a 1/4" drive ratchet and small 10mm socket. A 10mm wrench may be needed for the rear bolt on the drivers side.

Pull the breather hoses off the valve covers.

Remove the whole intake tube, breather hoses, MAF and filter box top as one section. Pull the spark plug wires off of the plugs and flop them up on top of the intake out of the way.

Remove the rear bolts entirely before loosening the others. Once you get a few turns with the ratchet/wrench they will thread out easily by hand, then loosen and remove the middle and front bolts.

The drivers side valve cover has a nifty built in handle to lift it out with.

Passenger side is easy enough to just grab with your hand.

Clean the gasket surfaces really well with a rag or brush and brake cleaner. Slip the new gasket into the groove and slide the cover back on the engine.

I followed these steps and had no real issues. Took me a while to do it since it was my first time and I was taking it slow but could easily be done in the time frame stated. Thanks!