Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru becomes crashed into another car - video

I was in CT earlier this afternoon on my way to New York and getting on the highway. It was raining hard with very slick conditions. As I was getting on the highway there was first a yield sign for merging traffic and then a stop sign before you got on. I thought I had left more than enough room for the car in front of me but then I started hydroplaning and couldn't stop. I hit the car in front of me and did some serious damage to my front end. Their car was barely scratched. Here's a video of the damage:

I have collision insurance ($300 deductible) so I'm not terribly worried about it getting repaired. I feel terrible about hitting their car. I never intended such a thing. Fortunately there were no injuries. I apologized to them many times.

Thoughts on how much the repair would cost? I saw coolant dripping onto the ground and the radiator fans are definitely destroyed. Anyone think the insurance company might try to total the car? I had it towed to the insurance company's preferred repair facility (also AAA certified).

Edit: 97 OBW with a transplanted ej22 from a 98 Legacy

Edited by bstone

It's probably going to be totaled just because the car isn't worth much to start with.

In reality, it's not that hard to fix damage like that. It looks like you submarined your bumper under theirs, so your hood and upper radiator support took the hit instead of the bumper.

It's probably going to be totaled just because the car isn't worth much to start with.

I have no experience with this sort of thing. In 16 years of driving this is the first accident of significance I've been in. If they total it do they pay me but I can keep the car and then fix it?

In reality, it's not that hard to fix damage like that. It looks like you submarined your bumper under theirs, so your hood and upper radiator support took the hit instead of the bumper.

That's exactly what happened. My bumper didn't do any bumping, but the hood and radiator did.

Sorry 'bout that mon ....bad luck:( Glad nobody was hurt. WTF is his bumper made of cast iron?, must have got under him just right..... that's a shame, thinking insurance is gonna cut a check for that. Hope you hold onto it and put her back together. Best of luck!

Sorry 'bout that mon ....bad luck:( Glad nobody was hurt. WTF is his bumper made of cast iron?, must have got under him just right..... that's a shame, thinking insurance is gonna cut a check for that. Hope you hold onto it and put her back together. Best of luck!

I fully intend on keeping her and fixing her. I put a transplanted ej22 into her, just replaced the pads and rotors the other day, and had the trans rebuilt. Have every intention on keeping her and fixing her.

Yeah chances are good they'll total it. But, tell them you want the car for salvage. They'll give you a slightly lower payout, couple hundred $$ usually but you keep the car. Then you can fix it with junkyard parts and drive on. AC condenser, radiator, fans, header panel, hood, headlights. Should only be a few hundred $$ to fix it.

if they total it you should be able to buy it back for 10-20% of what they pay you, It will just have a salvage title. I would get new hood, radiator, headlights and grill. Just hook a chain around a pole and the core support and slowly back up until the headlights fit right again. hammers help too.

Bummer. My wife just got hit in our 2000 subaru OB. The insurance company totaled it. I bought it back. In WI, since it was older than 7 years, I don't need to do a salvage title. Not like the damage was bad either. It got a new strut, new wheel bearing and a LF fender and it will be like it never happened. I pick it up Tuesday.

It looks like 1-2 new fenders at most, a hood with grill, a couple of lights, a radiator, some adjustments and you might be back on the road. All of that can be had for relatively cheap at a yard. I use Car-part.com all of the time for this kind of stuff.

If you can get them the same color, no paint needed. If you get them all from the same car, that is better as it might be a better match.

I'd estimate $600-800 in used parts. You shouldl be able to get the car back for about $400-500.

Glad no one got hurt.

Just hook a chain around a pole and the core support and slowly back up until the headlights fit right again. hammers help too.

it would be better if he put two pieces of fire wood or something in front of the front and rear tires to keep it from moving(or just hook up to two trees) and hook up a come along or winch to it and to a tree or something thats doesn't move to pull slowly so he doesn't mess it up or he could cut it off and weld a different one on

It seems that the insurance company is going to total the vehicle and sell me it back for $200. Because of the age there won't be a salvage title, but they will have to inspect it after I make repairs in order to get a policy on it. After deductible, purchasing it back, and other things it appears they are going to give me around $2000 for it. I plan on repairing it with junkyard parts.

So now I have to start determining what parts I'll need. *PLEASE* help me with this list:

1- Hood

2- Headlights, right and left

3- Radiator

4- Radiator fans

5- Grill

6- ???

7- ???

Please help me fill in the blanks!

I don't know the condition of the alternator, alt belt, AC compressor or belt tho I will find out soon. I'll hold off on ordering any of those parts until I get back to the vehicle. I'm currently out of town for about 2 weeks so I can take some time to order parts and have them shipped.

How many miles on that car? Auto or manual trans? Any goodies like Limited package, leather seats?

$2000 sounds too low to me. I would expect to pay around $3000 - $4000 to buy another car like that from a private seller. Probably around $5000 from a dealer.

How big is your deductible?

How many miles on that car? Auto or manual trans? Any goodies like Limited package, leather seats?

$2000 sounds too low to me. I would expect to pay around $3000 - $4000 to buy another car like that from a private seller. Probably around $5000 from a dealer.

How big is your deductible?

$300 deductible. They are giving me a run around about high mileage (240k) taking off $800 and some other minor bumps. I am arguing them for every penny.

Edit: They didn't include the heated seats and I also sent them receipts for the ej22 engine and the rebuilt transmission. I'm hoping that adds a fair bit to the value. I may get it independently appraised.

Edited by bstone

You need a good independent body shop to fight on your behalf. If you were local I could hook you up with my guy... Call around. My body guy is a business neighbor of mine and he is ruthless. He will get twice what you can get on your own and he will make them pay quick. He charges $100 per day in storage fees till they settle for the car and pay you.

That should not be a total anyway. The parts needed to fix that are readily available - I just bought a '96 OBW front clip for $85 delivered to my shop - which I used to graft in a lower core support for a fellow board member. The total bill was under $500 for that work.

I could easily fix that for $1200 - which is far less than the car is worth.

GD

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Insurance company is sending a check for $2300, which includes the collision deductible (300) and purchasing the car back (200).

I picked up the Suby and got AAA to tow me to F&S Yard this afternoon. While there I got two headlights for $75 each, a hood for $100, and radiator with fans for $150. The owner, Bob, stayed with me until 9pm as I helped him use chains and clamps to pull the various malformations on the radiator support back into shape. He even did a bit of welding to get broken bolts out of their threads and made sure everything was tightened down. He charged $180 for this and it was worth every penny.

All in all the car is now working, drivable, and fine. I paid $425 for parts and $180 for labor. Not bad, eh?

Probably could have done better on parts, but having help like that is invaluable! That's gotta be one swell guy to hang around that long and help you work on your car! :banana:

Lets see some pics of the teardown and the fixed version! :burnout:

I took a video before I did the repairs,

. I'll take a video after the repairs in the morning and upload it.

As far as prices these folks had the best prices. Another local yard wanted $150 for each headlight, while F&S wanted $75. Can't complain about that. Prices around here are generally higher.

Edited by bstone

I took a video before I did the repairs,
. I'll take a video after the repairs in the morning and upload it.

As far as prices these folks had the best prices. Another local yard wanted $150 for each headlight, while F&S wanted $75. Can't complain about that. Prices around here are generally higher.

+1 on can't complain. Glad to read your story about how you are able to put your car back on the road again. When all is said and done, you will be able to keep a good portion of that $2300 in your pocket.

Since the damage was above the bumper, you prolly won't find any damage to the suspension, so your car should drive like before the accident.

Please post the "car fixed" video. I would like to see your repair work!!

Looks good! I'm pretty sure you can buy that color green at most parts stores in the isle with all the spray paint. Probably need several cans to cover a whole hood though.

I can't tell from the video, is that the gold colored bumper or the darker grey-pewter color? I have an Outback grille that's the darker color.

Nice video of your repairs. Everything seems to fit pretty well. Suggest you install the two steel guards that cover the front of the pulleys and fan belts. It makes things safer that way to keep from getting a finger or rag caught between a belt & pulley.

You may want to polish the lenses of the head lights. Toothpaste on a wet paper towel works pretty good. There are also commercial products at parts stores made to do the same thing.

Glad to see that you have got your car back on the road.......Congrats!!

Looks good! I'm pretty sure you can buy that color green at most parts stores in the isle with all the spray paint. Probably need several cans to cover a whole hood though.

I can't tell from the video, is that the gold colored bumper or the darker grey-pewter color? I have an Outback grille that's the darker color.

Grey-pewter. How much you thinking for it? I have a credit at a local junkyard so I might go to them first just to offload this credit, but please send me your offer.

Nice video of your repairs. Everything seems to fit pretty well. Suggest you install the two steel guards that cover the front of the pulleys and fan belts. It makes things safer that way to keep from getting a finger or rag caught between a belt & pulley.

You may want to polish the lenses of the head lights. Toothpaste on a wet paper towel works pretty good. There are also commercial products at parts stores made to do the same thing.

Glad to see that you have got your car back on the road.......Congrats!!

Thanks much! The new headlights are a thousands times clearer than the old ones, but I'll still give them a shine. The metal plates are gone but I'll have a look to see if I can locate replacements. Thanks for the accolades. The insurance check came and I'm pretty happy with the end-result.