Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Speed Sensor Sheered off! any ideas how to get it out

I have a 1999 Subaru legacy Brighton the speed sensor sheered off so that just the threads are left in the tranny. That plastic stuff sucks :(

Any Ideas on how to get them out. Also I had two p500 codes on my computer

I know one of them is the speed sensor just wondering if any body out there knew if that would cause them both thanks so much!

Sebastian

1999 subaru Legacy brighton

1998 Subaru Legacy

1995 subaru Legacy

1991 Subaru Legacy

1986 Subaru Dl

The speed sensor in the transmission talks to the speedometer head in the dash which converts the signal and in turn talks to the engine computer, so that's where the code is coming from.

Auto or manual trans? The manual is more of a pain to work with because the speed sensor is buried more under the firewall than on an auto.

I would try a heat gun, like a industrial hair drier, to soften the plastic a bit and then use a big e-z out to try and get the plastic to unthread.

I had the same thing happen to me, I just glued broken piece back with a lot of j b weld and it's been holding ok so far.

But if you want to do it right, you might have to lower the trany or even remove it so you can get your tools in there.

I ended up getting it out. after a lot of different methods a mixture of a heat gun (thanks woods) and prying it out with a flat head got it out. However it only made my problem worse. Put the new one in and had to actually hard wire it in because my harness was melted I felt like I had good connections all around but the speedo still wont move. I fixed the head already with the screw like a lot of guys have been doing so I dont know what else to do.

Also now I am getting a 1507 code which I hear is a AICV but I dont get why that code only showed up after I replaced the speed sensor. any thoughts

again my car is a 1999 subaru legacy Brighton. with about 160k on it. alot of rust to :). any thoughts?

Thanks so much

Its a manual. And has had a rev limiter on for ages. Today I took out and grounded the soldered the connections on the speedo. This actually fixed the rev limiter and the car worked like a dream but the CEL was still on. I cleared the codes at work left the battery off for a few hours and then about 3 mins into driving the CEL comes back on and the Rev limiter kicks back in. Its going into fail safe mode for some odd reason and I cant figure it out GRRRRR.

After clearing the codes and having the CEL light up again its now only giving me the P500 code or actually 2 P500 codes one with a little symbol next to it?

So far the speedo still does not work but i have done all recommended fixes that i know of.

The speed sensor has been replaced

I checked and the gear inside is moving. took the SS out and checked the slots position. drove a bit and checked again and it moved so its got to be moving the SS.

I checked that the wire from the SS to the Speedo is completing a circuit and it does.

Replaced the PCV valve today as well because it is idling horrible. When I start it up in the morning it really just loses all power whats so ever. Just gets bogged down. It however did not do that earlier today after having messed with the speedo all day?

I dont get it and I have to have it smogged and registered by the 26th ohh got to love CA smog laws.

thanks guys

Thanks but i got that out need to figure out the codes now. 1507 and a intermittent p0500

Replacing the Neutral safety switch today hopefully that will fix it.

32008AA074

I think this is probly it because when I clear the codes she runs great for about 5 mins and then CEL comes on again with a 1507 and starts to run horrible.

Need an O-scope to really see if the Speed sensor is actually creating the correct pulse, but you can check it with a voltmeter set to ACV as you drive. I'm not sure exactly what the readout should be, but anything above flat 0V should at least tell you if the sensor is indeed turning.

Hook up the meter at the cluster end of the wiring for the sensor. If you get a signal there, then you probably need to replace the speedometer.

The 1507 code probably has nothing to do with the IACV. This code typically sets if the car gets driven and the ECU receives no speed sensor input. There is a module on the back of the gauge cluster that converts the sensor output from 8 pulses per revolution down to 4, then it sends that signal to the ECU. If your speedometer doesn't work chances are the converter isn't sending a signal.

The ECU sees changes in throttle position and vehicle speed while you drive, and adjusts the IACV according to speed when coasting (off throttle) in gear to keep the engine from spitting/backfiring in the exhaust. Without the speed input the ECU seeing is high idle speed at 0mph after you take you foot off the throttle to coming to an intersection, or going down a hill, or just coasting along on the highway. The ECU is trying to correct the idle speed by altering the IACV pulse width, and it's not reading a change because the engine speed doesn't come down. The ECU assumes this means there is a problem with the IACV and sets a code. Then probably goes into limp mode which would explain the rough running.

Figure out the speedometer issue first.

Well fair tax you changed my mind. And well I figure since the Speedo still is not actually working its probly my problem, makes sense right. My question would be to you or any body else out there is I am gonna buy a whole dash cluster from a legacy so I can put a tach in while I am at it Would you know what years would work for that? I have a 1999 and I would rather stay away from the 1999 speedos since I hear they are well junk!

Thanks

1999 subaru Legacy brighton

1998 Subaru Legacy

1995 subaru Legacy

1991 Subaru Legacy

1986 Subaru Dl

I'm not sure about wiring differences, but as far as overall design you'll need something from 95-99. I would think that any of those should work, but I know this has been done plenty of times. Search around here there are bound to be a few threads about it.

the 99 speedo is unique, a one year speedo, in the outback any way so i assume the legacy as well. but maybe not. there is a known issue with the 99 speedo, and a good ''how to'' for fixing it. search speedofix, or 99speedofix.

as for the tach. i don't really know but i'd bet that any one from a leagcy or outback 95 - 99 would work, as long as the connector matches.

EDIT: be careful when working with these things, the needles are very fragile. and once broken it is easier to throw it away and get another one than it is to get a replacement needle on and get it to read the correct speed.

Edited by johnceggleston

I have heard that you can make the earlier speedos work but we will see I ordered a 98 legacy for 40 bucks off ebay. Yeah my speedo is exceptionally broke not sure why. But all the fixes dont wanna work. I tried soldering a ground on and even resolderd a few broken cold joints. still wont even move a mm. I took it to a speedo shop and he tested it and it didnt turn on for me as well. I have not been lazy at looking up threads pretty much have read every one that deals with speedo fixes. OHHh well hopefully this new speedo will work possibly I can hard wire it in some how or what ever. Its not a complete loss 40 bucks for a Tach if the speedo wont work is fine with me.