Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This is a little embarrassing.

I got my wrench stuck in this hole in the back of the engine block by the flex plate. According to the internet, I was supposed to use a screwdriver to provide resistance as I loosened my crank pulley to get to the timing bolt, but I used the wrench because I thought my screwdriver wasn't sturdy enough.

Anyway, it got stuck. I've wiggled and pulled and cursed and grunted, but the thing just won't come out. How I managed to get it stuck in the first place has become something of a mystery.

Of course, I'm looking for tips how to get it out. Has anyone done this before? The engine's still in the car, and I'd kinda like to keep it that way as I don't have access to a lift. I'm not ruling any possibilities at this point though.

Photographic evidence here.

guessing at some ideas here. if you have a set of tiny dental mirrors and a good light try to figure out what the wrench is hooked on.

perhaps a lever to apply a bit more tension on the wrench will help extract it. you'll need another person for this, maybe 2. maybe the hood will have to come off first. get a long 2x4, maybe 6 foot. place the 2x4 across the strut towers. tie the middle of the 2x4 to the wrench using a rope or coat hanger. tighten up the crank pulley bolt. have a buddy move the crank slightly while you lift up on the wrench. vary the extraction angle of the wrench by using wedges on the strut tower end of the 2x4. try to pull the wrench straight out, i.e. the angle faces slightly back toward the trans. maybe even a third person could use a screwdriver to adjust the position of the stuck wrench. the more the merrier, just find people who have a good sense of humor and have gotten in fixes like this one. you know it can come out the same way it went in, just have to figure out the right undo mechanism.

another way is to find a come-along and tie it to rafters overhead and behind the engine to yank on the wrench.

I got it!

Thanks, guys. I don't think any of your suggestions ended up helping, but it's the thought that counts, right?

I'm waiting for the snow to stop so I can finish putting the car back together. Then I'll know if my first head gasket job was successful.