Ultimate Subaru Message Board

looking to buy 1999 Outback Wagon - Your thoughts?

Buddy of mine is looking at purchasing 1999 outback wagon. 117k Automatic. About $8k. I come to you wise folks for incite from time to time. Let me know if there are any specific things to be cautious about. Or just your suggestion.

Best

RFG

This is great feedback I will be sure to pass it along. I was weary about the price too. Unfortunately living in the Seattle region, Subaru's have high resale. Plus he's looking to buy it from a dealer. Thanks

Here is a link if you are inclined to see the rig.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=98034&endYear=2014&modelCode1=SUBOUTBK&showcaseOwnerId=70223&startYear=1981&makeCode1=SUB&sellerTypes=b&searchRadius=10&maxPrice=10000&mmt=%5BSUB%5BSUBOUTBK%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=338253406&listingIndex=4&Log=0

Like others have posted, the price is way too high. Sounds like what a car dealer would charge.

So happens that I own a 99 OBW. I have had it for the past 5 years. Major concern is always head gaskets. Some HGs last a long time, others don't, but eventually all will go bad. My motor lasted to 190K miles, before blowing it's original head gaskets. Problem always presents itself as an over heating engine problem. It can leave you stranded on the side of the road, and cost around $2,000 to have the HGs replaced. Continued driving when motor is over heating will ruin the motor.

Other issue is a transmission problem. Tranny doesn't break, but develops "delayed forward engagement," when shifted from R to D, tranny is lazy about shifting into D. It is fixable with an additive to the tranny fluid.

Other then those two issues, it is a fine car.

I have one. It's the 30th Anniversary edition (costs more for all the features)

I heard all the reservations about the head gaskets etcetera. Although, everyone I asked that owned a Subaru of that model, had no problems. Anyway, the only problems I've had in 140k miles are:

the time a mouse chewed through the wire to my #3 fuel injector

AND

When my alternator died (@ 165k miles) & I, mistakenly, replaced it with a used one...

love the car. feel safe/secure

dollar amount seems a bit high though unless it has low mileage (sort of does) & it depends on where you live. Rustless Subarus command a higher price in snowy mountain country. & all those extras (2 moon roofs/heated leather seats/heated mirrors/heated windshield wiper/am/fm/cassette/cd/weather radio/seperate woofer... )get more money, too.

later,

Peter

$8,000 - wow, that wouldn't sell in a million years even at a dealer here...i realize colorado and NW are insane but I'd look around. With winter and tax season in full swing he's buying at a terrible time, a lot of very bad consumers/buyers are hitting the market now for Subarus. Lots of "I'm buying a Subaru with my tax return" makes for a sellers market, not a buyers.

Tell him, or you can for him, to simply google "EJ25 Headgasket" to see how bad this issue is. And the 1996-1999 Outbacks have the EJ25 variety that is the most grievous of them all. I, and many on here, have repaired, replaced, many of them. Very common - a simple google search shows the scope of the issue.

It would stink to spend $8,000 on a car then need a $2,000 repair...or worse.

If you're going to pay top dollar I'd aim for an EJ22 (but they come in lesser, not as nice models), or get a 2000+ Outback, those EJ25's still have headgasket issues but due to their different failure mode are far less ominous.