Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the wrong way to "clean" the motor out

was working underthe hood today,  removed all of the ac components.. it still had a charge after 29 years..  compressor was locked up.. 

also replaced a bunch of rock hard vacuum lines, fixed the pinhole leak in the radiator.  basic stuff..  started it up, reved it a couple times by hand and the throttle cable popped out of its grove and pinned the throttle wide open..  so it revved wide open for about 5 seconds, until i got around the car and dove in the window to turn it off.. 

funny part is now it runs way better,  but at idle is has a lope to it almost like a miss..  i replaced plugs to make sure.. no change..  so the high rev musta "cleaned" some carbon offa something i'm assuming..  deffinitely more power now too.. 

anyways i don't recommend this cleaning procedure to anyone, lol..  it coulda been bad had the motor not been really sound...

In the '60's, it was referred to as an "Italian Tune-up"... Ferraris, Maseratis, et al, would tend to foul their plugs loafing around in city traffic, so the owners would take them for a right good romp on the highway.

If this is a solid lifter EA81, you might want to recheck the valve clearances.

after plugs and oil that's the first thing I do with any subie I get, makes a world of difference especially if the previous owners were

elderly.

on these motors, as long as its got oil it should be ok. ive seen one of these with a rod knock revved to 7k for a solid 10 minutes. it still ran after.

Edited by AKghandi

heh no seafoam in the case..    its a hydro motor too....    i hadn't driven it since then other than out to the end of the driveway to park it on the street last night..   i got in it this morning, started it up, and it blew the oil filter off..   not just rattled it loose,  i mean blew it clean off,  3qts of oil on the ground..   i didn't notice the oil pressure higher than the normal 50 or so on the guage..

ohh well,  it got a new filter, oil and some mmo tonight.. took it around the block, let it run for 45 min while i cleaned up the oil in the street..    seems fine..   gonna drive it my normal 60 mile commute tomorrow and see how it does..

Free over-reving tends to be limited by valve float, which puts nasty loads on the valve train, depending on what part is provoking the float.  Bent push rods can result, as can valve spring damage and fatigue (valve springs tend to surge at high RPM).