Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Price may be a little high, I bet you could buy for $500 less. As 86 Bratman wrote, ask to see the receipt for timing belt and head gasket repair. Don't take the dealer's word that the work was done. Replacing head gaskets is at least a $2,000+ job.

The ad states a couple of times that the motor is good for 200K miles. In my opinion with good maintenance, a motor will last 300K miles.

I'm going to play the devil's advocate and tell you to keep looking. 

The HG repair is good to know, but what is unknown is how long it was run w/the issue and if it was ever overheated...overheating can fry the rod bearings and you'll end up w/a rod thru the block.

The early Foresters were good cars, but they had their share of issues, and if you want to keep your friend, I wouldn't put them in this car....go over to Subaruforester.org and spend some time time looking thru their forums. Wheel bearings, misfires, are just some of the notable issues...and you're in the 'rust belt' so could be extra issues related to corrosion.

And it's been in an accident - PM me for the 'AutoCheck' (like carfax) if needed.

TD

That's about average, 170k range stuff doesn't sell great.

Ideally you want one with all new timing belts AND pulleys/tensioner as well as resealed oil pump and new cam seals.  But that's hard to find....so where do they want to cut corners...price or maintenance?

If they find another without the timing belt done - are they going to pay to have that done - a complete job?  If they can afford a vehicle and $500 - $1,000 for a complete timing belt job.  A lot of folks won't do that...they max their purchasing price out for the best vehicle they can get and maintenance is secondary.  In that case...this one sounds pretty tempting.

Unknown timing components is not a good idea on interference engines, if the belt breaks then the motor is toast as they bend valves just about every time (i fixed two last year - both 1999's).  So....they might be better off getting the new timing belt if they're only going to save $500 to get one without any new timing belt at all.

Ideally they buy one and have a complete timing belt job done properly - not on the dealers/sellers books - but that is unlikely depending on them.  So depending how they proceed in those terms sheds light on how they should purchase.

***If they get it - make sure they add Subaru's coolant conditioner if they can't verify it was done, heck i'd probably do it anyway it's only $2.47 - it is required for that engine.

As for the headgasket...it is true that the history is unknown but to some degree that's probably going to be the case for any EJ25 bought....

And the EJ25 Turbo headgsaket is the gasket to use and the heads should be resurfaced, they always have high and low spots...but again, not something you can expect on a used car.

But if you're trying to get them in a Subaru they probably want something nice...like this...and will be looking at almost all EJ25 vehicles, the EJ22 equipped stuff was phasing out and in base models which most people don't want.  So you're going to have to deal with EJ25 risk either way.

That is a Phase II EJ25 - they don't over heat like the PHase I's unless they're run out of coolant.  So - that engine is far better than the 1998 Forester engine, which I would say avoid.

You basically want to avoid EJ25 DOHC Phase I engines which are:

1996-1999 Legacy and Outbacks

1998 Impreza RS and Forester

Anything later for those given models are Phase II SOHC EJ25's and have far less headgasket headaches.

Edited by grossgary