Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Motor swap

an ea82 engine from an 85-86 gl will fit and work. you will want to use the ea82 radiator with it. any spfi ea82 engine will work as long as you have a mechanical distributor, and the ea81 manifold can swap

any ea81 4spd dual range trans will swap. an ea82 5spd 4wd will swap also, carry over the ea81 trans mount, and use the ea82 flywheel and clutch. You will have to use the ea81 flywheel bolts, and grind away the bottom corner of the bellhousing to clear the teeth. Transfer the timing marks for the ea81 to the ea82 flywheel as the degrees are in different positions. use the 2 piece ea82 driveshaft, and fabricate a mount for the carrier bearing. a 4spd driveshaft would have to be shortened to use with a 5spd if you don't use the 2-piece shaft.

Use a 5spd from a non turbo model so the axle spline matches.

Otherwise, consider the mods for a 5spd if you use an EJ engine, but you will need to slot the flywheel holes, and use a custom bellhousing adapter (available as a product manufactured by a subaru enthusiast) Of course, you will have to swap the engine harnesses and fuel pump to use one as they are available. Otherwise, there are overseas engines with carbureted manifold and distributor for the ej22. You may consider an ej22's 5spd as well, but no lo-range, and the trans mounts and driveshaft will have to be modified further than a ea82 5spd.

This is brief, there are more details depending on what you consider, but none if it is complicated as long as you have the correct combination of factory parts.

EA82 won't fit between the chassis rails without modifying them.

Simplest swap would be anything that already had an EA81 engine and a dual range gearbox.

This is not true unless you are installing a lift which spaces the crossmember. It fits if you ditch the timing belt covers (recommended for ea82 serviceability)

• Like 1

EA82 5sp d/r years are found between 85'-89' in GL/DL wagons and one year of the GL sedans...86 I think. Thats in the USDM

As for the EA81, The hydraulic lifter ones are the best in almost every regard. IIRC, they can be found in ea81 automatic cars(83'ish?-85ish) and any EA81 86 and later. Theres tons of threads on how to ID them and where to look, but the dead giveaway is the stickers on the valve covers that say "do not adjust valve lash". I know I'm missing some info there, but the hydraulic lifter EA81's is what I'd go with.

I'm not sure what years to look for a EA81 4sp d/r..sorry

Josh

Edited by El Presidente

EA82 is too wide to fit unless you have a 4" lift. The valve covers won't clear the front frame rails in the Brat. Been there, done the mock up. Just won't clear. The driveline from the 4 Spd has to be lengthened not shortened to work with the 5spd. The 5 spd tranny is shorter because they did away with the tailshaft extension housing that was on the 4 spd.

EA82 is too wide to fit unless you have a 4" lift. The valve covers won't clear the front frame rails in the Brat. Been there, done the mock up. Just won't clear. The driveline from the 4 Spd has to be lengthened not shortened to work with the 5spd. The 5 spd tranny is shorter because they did away with the tailshaft extension housing that was on the 4 spd.

sorry, my remarks were based on ea81 bodies (wagon). i forgot to read brat for 1980

Edited by MilesFox

Is a ej22 extremely complicated

there's a complete guide/write up posted on this forum - probably in the USRM section.  search and read through it and see if you're up to it.

the only tricky part is wiring. you strip the EJ harness down until you have like 2 or 3 wires to splice into your vehicle body...power/ignition/something or another, read the manual.

if the wiring look daunting there are people on this forum that have done the complete wire harness prep-strip for folks for about $200 - $300. 

that's well worth it for some folks over reinventing the wheel and going through a process for the first time that you'll never likely do again.

What trans would go behind the ej and work in a 80 brat

An EA 82 5spd dualrange or Ej series tranny. I would personally recomend the Ea tranny. Lots of modification for an Ej tranny to fit in the brat. I put an Ea 5spd in this summer its fairly easy. The biggest thing is to make sure you have all the pieces for it. The plate mounts to the dual range easily. Drives great

Oh also i believe 1985 was the first year there was carbureted hydraulic lifters in all EA81. not quite sure but pretty positve. Mine was Hydraulic and it was a stock 4 speed when i bought it.

I know if you go with a carbureted Ej then you have to make a custom intake. I have heard of somebody using a side draft carb where the throttlebody goes and doing it that way but then it again its a lot of hassle. i would say the easiest way to do the 22 is to go fuel injected. I thought about carbureted but i didn't want the extra modifcation on top of what i already had to do.