Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Appears I decided to change my timing belt just in the nick of time...checked yours lately?

Great indeed that you changed the T-belt when you did.

Nice looking grill & bumper treatment on your Subie in NZ. Not sure what year, or model the car is, but it is definitely different then what we have here in the USA. I suspect it may be a Liberty, which is named the Legacy here in the US.

Oil/fluid contamination of the belt. Some type of fluid dripping between the seams of the timig cover onto the belt. Steering pumps often leak onto the timing cover. Could also have been oil spilled onto the cover during an oil change. Either way, make sure the leak that put the oil there is fixed, or that will happen again.

woah!  nice catch indeed.

best to replace all the pulleys/tensioner as well as the belt can get heated up and delaminate like that due to bearings getting overheated or seizing and the belt sliding over them.

Thanks! I already have - just finished doing all the pulleys, the tensioner, new water pump and belt. Better safe than sorry.

how many miles/years?

Just a baby - 204,000km (or 126k miles). I think this may be the first time the belt has been changed.

Great indeed that you changed the T-belt when you did.

Nice looking grill & bumper treatment on your Subie in NZ. Not sure what year, or model the car is, but it is definitely different then what we have here in the USA. I suspect it may be a Liberty, which is named the Legacy here in the US.

Thanks! It's a 1997 Forester C/20 - runs a SOHC EJ20J with a dual-range five speed manual trans. Only has about 120hp, but it's a good little car :)

Here's a photo of it in it's natural habitat :)

OR8EpeE.jpg

Edited by rxleone
  • Like 1

You are a wee bit late on that timing belt, in the US it is 106,000 miles. Hope your chaining all the extra tidbits at the same time.

In New Zealand we usually change our belts every 100,000km (60,000mi) as a rule. Doesn't look like it happened. I have already replaced all the pulleys, tensioner, water pump etc.