Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 with flat drive belts?

Swapping a used ea82 into my 89 GL. Came with no intake, PO said it was carbed. All the pulleys on my old one were for V belts but the new one has pulleys for the flat, grooved style belts. I would just swap all the old pulleys onto the new engine but the old crank pulley is stuck on (I tried a 5 foot cheater pipe) and it got cracked somewhere along the way anyway. Now I will also need a alternator pulley for the flat belt since the new engine came with no alternator.

I've looked on rock auto and every application I looked at between 1985 and 1994 uses a V belt. So what year/model used a flat belt? Would I just be better off getting a new crank pulley and swapping the old pulleys onto the new engine? Either way I have to hunt down a pulley, although I'm guessing the V belt crank pulley will be easier to find than the flat belt alternator pulley.

Edited by wakingtowinter

It would be from 4 cyl xt mpfi turbo and non turbo. The heads should have dual ports as xt never came with carb or spfi. You might be into swapping heads to use a carburetor.

otherwise, it could have been carb or spfi that was converted to flat belts from an xt

if it has flat belts, it would have a 105mm water pump. you will need a 110 mm water pump and the correct pulley if converting it back to v belt

Describe the intake ports. MPFI has a dual intake port, and SPFI/carb, has single ports. An mpfi has a runner style intake. the SPFI is a throttle body. A carburetor is a carburetor.

Any combination of your 2 engines will bolt up, depending on your skill and labor.

An 89 GL would be SPFI unless it was turbo. a dual port mpfi head would not work with a spfi/carb intake.

What is your reason for swapping engines?

The heads are definitely mpfi. Dual ports, so yeah my old intake will not work. I looked in one of the spark plug holes and the pistons are the regular non-turbo pistons. Reason for swapping the engine is it had no oil pressure and sounded like it had piston slap. Then the clutch fork went so I figured I'd do it all at once. If I get an mpfi intake are there any issues with hooking it up to my existing harness and plumbing?

Ok, got the answer to that question. Did some more reading and found that the work would be similar to an EJ swap so now I am leaning toward swapping the SPFI heads onto the new block and going from there. Can this be done with the engine in the car? Just dropped it in on Sunday and now I find this out.