Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 oil pump pulley nut

Ok, so this is my second ea82 equipped soobie.  This on is an 87 sedan.  The mickey mouse gasket as gone bad and is leaking a bit.  For the life of me I cant get the nut off that holds the pulley on.  How are people getting it off?  I still have the timing belt on, and under torque it is just hopping teeth on the belt.  This is making me crazy.  I make a living working on helicopters and this single nut has me pulling my hair out.

If you're trying to take the oil pump off to replace the micky mouse gasket, there are notches in the edge of the pully to allow a 10mm socket to get on the bolts. They may be covered up by the timing belt, remove it.

If you want to replace the pump seal on the shaft then use a strap wrench to hold the pully while you loosen the nut.

And quit beatting up on yourself, I'm a retired mechanic (heavy equipment) and every machine is differant. Subi's are in a differant class all by themselves.

Ed

Make sure the tensioner is tight on the belt as it shouldn't skip. You would only have to remove this if you are changing the shaft seal. There are undersize seals for worn shafts, so measure it if you do, but otherwise leave it alone if it looks good.

Otherwise, you can remove the whole pump, and take the pump to the bench and clamp it doen ain a vise with a rag or blocks of wood to protect the rotor, and take it off that way.

You can take the cam seal reatiners off the motor and to the bench to change the seals if you want to since the belts are off anyway.

I'm just a plain idiot.  I thought there were only four bolts holding the pump itself on... plus the pulley nut.  Well after 3 hours I realized that there is a 5th bolt on the top that I hadn't seen.  So ya...

Then to add to my troubles I asked my gf to turn the ignition on to listen to music and she turned it on too far and bumped the starter with one belt off.  So now I'm working on getting the belts back on correctly.  There is a good video on youtube, but I can't clearly see the marks that I need to go off of.  

I'm laying under the soobie, looking at my 96 grand cherokee with full width axles and 37's and almost willing to deal with the 12 miles a gallon right now. lol.  Thanks for the help guys.

This will help. Print 5 copies; 1 to look at, 1 to spill beer on, 3 to slime when you are doing the belts.

post-8313-0-04258800-1396503726_thumb.jpg

Also, when you go to install the pump, put 2 dabs, small dabs of sealant on the case split lines.

Edited by silverback

This will help. Print 5 copies; 1 to look at, 1 to spill beer on, 3 to slime when you are doing the belts.

attachicon.gifIMG.jpg

Also, when you go to install the pump, put 2 dabs, small dabs of sealant on the case split lines.

That pic was literally my saving grace this morning.  Tdc 15 minutes the "silver slayer" as I'm calling it was back on the road.  

You've got the crank pulley off?

Or is this the one you're having troubles with?

it's how I read it at first too, something got lost in the translation :P

Another thing lost is how a 1" 12 point socket fits over the EA82 oil pump pulley for starters, then if socket does fit, how do you then access the small nut holding oil pump belt driven pulley ??

Another thing lost is how a 1" 12 point socket fits over the EA82 oil pump pulley for starters, then if socket does fit, how do you then access the small nut holding oil pump belt driven pulley ??

Not the pulley. The oil pump is pulled off the engine, then use the socket on the rotor - the back side, the engine side of the pump, the rotor/shaft side of the pump.   "rotor" not pulley:

the oil pump rotor

LucasP, "the silver slayer"........????

With about 70HP at the wheels, the only thing to get 'slayed' are the bugs on the windshield.

Well maybe it doesn't scream silver slayer... but its there, or will be someday.  

My previous soobie, an 83 gl wagon, in literally showroom condition when I got with with original tires and 28k on the clock was called the blue bomber.  It eventually got a 3 inch lift, chopped fenders and 30 inch tall swamper quad tires on blank quad rims that I drilled for the bolt pattern.  It was our shuttle car for getting our downhill mountain bikes to the top of hills.  

Not the pulley. The oil pump is pulled off the engine, then use the socket on the rotor - the back side, the engine side of the pump, the rotor/shaft side of the pump.   "rotor" not pulley:

:oops: :oops:

LucasP ... where's the '83 wagon now.   A buddy of mine is looking for a Soob for the same reason... mountain biking.  You still have it?

The 83 got cartwheeled two times at the local tuff truck races.  It was across the finish line jump tho so she still brought me home a checkered flag beforeshe got stripped and taken to the junk yard.  I wish I still had it.

For carrying bikes I had broken the back window out and would hang the bikes out the back like you would over a truck tailgate.  I was so awesome lol

I just removed that bolt on a pump yeaterday. Removed it from the enginge, and used the impact on it.

How do you hold it to tighten?

Antother thing to note is do not use an impact or an air ratchet on this nut while it's installed in the engine.

If it doesn't crack the nut......and the pulley is spun counterclockwise it can destroy the Filter bypass valve. 

They aren't meant to pump oil backwards.