Ultimate Subaru Message Board

couple issues with ej swap

bratman18

Have you checked your timing marks since you put the engine in? id try resetting the ECu once pull the pos cable and let it sit. 

My thought was trying to reset the ECU too.  Don't forget that you shouldn't touch anything for the first 5 minutes after starting to let the ECU work out it's parameters.

Having the second O2 sensor would help out too.

My other thoughts are that your fuel pressure regulator might be stuffed.  Or there is something between the donor vehicle and this one that you're missing.

It really is a guessing game without being near the vehicle to physically check it out :(

All the best (subscribed)

Bennie

Yeah we thought resetting the ecu would help too, but we have tried it a few times with no good results. And as I said, we even tried my ECU in a known running car, and it powered the car flawlessly. While the second o2 sensor may help it run a bit better, it should not affect it in this way, and keep it in limp mode. And at this time, without being able to drive it to the exhaust shop, there is no where to put the second o2. I guess we could check the fuel pressure regulator, but we did check the fuel pressure and it all checked out. 

I will definitely take a video of what it's doing the next time I'm there.

Thanks guys

We're going to try swapping the intake manifold out. He has seen this one other time, the swapped the intake manifolds, and it fixed the problem. Obviously it was something on or in the intake that wasn't working right, but it makes it hard when everything tests out ok, and it doesn't throw any codes. But I'm taking a break from it. I'm beyond frustrated because of what I have put into this swap, and the fact that it isn't at all driveable is quite frustrating.

If we cant figure this out, could I change the harness and intake manifold out for an OBD1 set up and have it work? Are those not as finicky?

If all else fails I'll trade you an OBD I harness and ECU for the 96 setup.  I want you to have a runnig EJ.

There's a weird metallic noise I can hear, particularly when you rev it up and it plateaus.  I'm wondering if this is messing with your knock sensor.

Also, what exhaust are you running - that's not restricting the engine is it?

Cheers

Bennie

There's a weird metallic noise I can hear, particularly when you rev it up and it plateaus. I'm wondering if this is messing with your knock sensor.

Also, what exhaust are you running - that's not restricting the engine is it?

Cheers

Bennie

Yeah it does seem to knock a bit when it starts bogging out. But no knock sensor code. And It's a new knock sensor.

The exhaust is an inferno fab single exhaust port UEL header, then it has a 2.5" flex pipe welded to that, and then it just has a muffler clamped on that. It doesn't even have a full exhaust on it yet because we couldn't drive it to the exhaust shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Those aren't fuel pressure regulators, they are just silencers so to speak. But they will be removed soon enough, at least the one in the feed line. Just haven't worked on it in a few weeks. But the fuel pressure has been tested, and tested good, so I dunno.

• 2 weeks later...

Timing marks used not arrows?

When you resealed engine.....Did you have heads off?  the rockers off?  any chance you've got a tight valve?

Just seems like something in the engine to me.

I will send another harness if you need it just be nice to check everything else first.

Timing marks used not arrows?

When you resealed engine.....Did you have heads off?  the rockers off?  any chance you've got a tight valve?

Just seems like something in the engine to me.

I will send another harness if you need it just be nice to check everything else first.

Yeah timing is definitely on where it needs to be. We did have the heads off, but didn't touch the valves or anything, and it ran perfect literally hours before resealing it. We've spent hours and hours going through everything that it could be. I have a fair amount of knowledge when it comes to Subarus, but my friend who owns a garage, is known as the Subaru Guru in the area. He works on these cars every day and can't figure it out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay....Update

Bratman shopped me the OBD II harness.

I used it to run an engine at my shop.......all worked well, until I tried using the MAF he sent back too........Engine hiccuped, popped and basically acted just like the engine in his video.

Hooked up that MAF to another running harness.....and it then worked???  Well I checked the condition of the contacts at the MAF and on the Harness plug...

One of the MAF pins had a thick black buildup of carbon.....and it's corresponding "female" mate in the harness was a bit loose too......Cleaned them off, pinched the connector a bit....VOILA!  It's all working great......

Bratman, I'll post a video.  The ones I shot yesterday will not import with sound???  WTF?? Stupid iPhone4 (that's been , run over, crushed and then sank to the bottom of a river)

I'll shoot another one today with the Ipod Nano....it takes good video...

• Like 1

I really hope that's all it was. We did try another maf with the same results, but I suppose if the connector had a bad spot, that'd be why that didn't work either. Can't wait to get this done! Whenever I finally get home from working in Canada anyway.

• 2 months later...