Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'd like to try to make a side by side buggy.

utcoyotehunter

I can build and or provide you with what you want and need,

Ive made a few buggy/modified subarus , I can do it all or

just provide some parts and advice or anywhere in between

heres a link to some pictures

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1694996414059253.1073741841.100006467321842&type=1&l=af9cb242d3

• Like 1

Scott

I have seen your posts on the forum and if I were to have anyone build it for me, you  would be one of very few that I would consider. As far as building it, I should be in good shape.  I will probably need someone to help bend the tubing.  Part of the reason I want to build this is to show the grandkids want can be made and hopefully encourage them.  I may need to take you up on your offer to purchase some parts but first I will try the want ads.  The thing that I really need help on is finding plans.  Do you have a selection I can choose from, I don't mind purchasing them? 

Yes having built a few rails i can say a rail built with vw l/p front and a leaf out superdave book and done but im already down one road with my build and as soon as its done ill be building a mid engine rail ej22 but subarugears.com has all the stuff to go it right if you have the $$$. There is a cheaper way to do it with an auto trans if that is what you wana run just stock up on them as they are not rally up to a off road application.

• Like 1

Yes having built a few rails i can say a rail built with vw l/p front and a leaf out superdave book and done but im already down one road with my build and as soon as its done ill be building a mid engine rail ej22 but subarugears.com has all the stuff to go it right if you have the $$$. There is a cheaper way to do it with an auto trans if that is what you wana run just stock up on them as they are not rally up to a off road application.

I am not giving up on finding a car locally but exploring my options. One of cores is to change my donor car to a newer non duel range vehicle or buy some thing from out of my area and ship in. This seems like it would be cost prohibitive. I have found a an 87 for 6,500$ this also seems very unrealistic for a 28 year old car to me and is not going to happen. I have not had any success on getting any plans. Any suggestions or web sights to look at? I have sent sweet 82 a message in hopes of some input and I have not received any response and I just realized I don't know how to check if I have any messages. This is to be a winter project and I was hoping to have some direction by then. Any help.

I found a Brat about 50 miles away. It is a 1984 dual range with fuel injection.   Say what?  Fuel injection on a 84?  The young man explained that the previous owner was a Subaru tech and this car was his pride and joy and he sold it to him about a year ago. I hit the mother load or so I thought. The body has dents in every quarter panel. The drivers window was missing and had been for at least the full year that he had owned it. The engine had a heavy coat of dust on it that showed no signs of maintenance for what looked like years. I thought I would take it for a ride reminding myself I only wanted the powertrain.  I pressed the clutch and the engine almost stalled. I got it up to 5 miles per hour and it started to shake.  The young man said if you just go faster the shake will go away.  I told him I didn't dare. I went 3 houses a way and took it back. I have always driven old cars and ran them in to the ground, but this was with out any doubt the worst car I have ever been in.

Could have been just bubbled tires, blown C/V joints, or a crappy 4spd.......

What engine did it have and was it indeeed F.I.? was it a 4spd? or 5Spd?   If it was an EA81 w/ SPFI conversion that would be a good thing to buy if the engine ran O.K.   the stalling could have been a neutral switch issue?

I would take a second look.....

There are some details that I left out most likely from the trauma of the 5 mile per hr test ride. The transmission was so sloppy it was hard to find a gear at all. It had been backed in to the driveway when we took it for the ride. When we got back to the driveway, the kid suggested I not even try to back it in. I didn't think I could find reverse any way. The steering was very loose. There was not any blow by. There was a low roar of air escaping from somewhere down low I assumed it was emissions. It did have efi this was located in the spot were the spare tire should be. There were two bullet holes in the hood (I'm not kidding) I assumed this was to put it out of its misery. I asked him if this was alcohol related he said no. He just wanted to see if a bullet would go through the sheet metal.

The kid was asking $700 and he said some one offered him $400. I told him to hurry and call them back before they came to their senses.

• Like 3

There is a 1986 Subaru GL10 wagon in the local paper it has an automatic. I asked the lady on the phone if it had a low range and she did not know . Can a automatic have a low range? And if so what am I looking for? sorry about all of the basic questions I'm pretty green about soobs.

There is a 1986 Subaru GL10 wagon in the local paper it has an automatic. I asked the lady on the phone if it had a low range and she did not know . Can a automatic have a low range? And if so what am I looking for? sorry about all of the basic questions I'm pretty green about soobs.

It only has the high since autos are push button 4wd or awd with center diff lock.