Ultimate Subaru Message Board

To start the car all a thief does is pull the ignition and then use a screwdriver, they don't care what they break. 

They also don't want to stick around and try to figure out what is going on with a vehicle that won't start.  I would say that if they are not in it and gone in around 30 seconds then they will leave it alone unless they really want it. 

Edited by jp98

My brother got his car back almost 2 months later. Based on what he found in the car it appeared that the theives were likely "all around" low lifes. He thinks the only reason they ditched the car was that the registration was about to expire.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/147499-brothers-1996-legacy-wagon-was-stolen-from-northgate-north-of-seattle-found/

He's in the process of cleaning things up and will likely be installing a kill switch and another anti-theft device, which I thought was pretty ingenious.

Has to be easy to use otherwise the Owner won't.  

If the SOB is planning the theft they may be watching, so if the Owner goes into the trunk each time the enter or leave the car, that would give it away.

Drive an old car and leave it open, if they take it, just go get another with all the insurance money you have saved

Thanks for the input, jp98.  When you say "pull the ignition" what does that mean--something like jamming a screwdriver into the cylinder's key slot and just using brute force to break its mount?

They will carry a small slide hammer with a screw type attachment on the end.  The screw the screw part into the key cylinder and then yank it out.  They all it takes is a screwdriver.

This all can be done in less than 30 seconds once they are inside the vehicle.

GOOD NEWS!  Police found the car today and called Eric at work.  It was parked on a residential street (27th Ave W just off Dravus) in the Magnolia area, so he caught a bus up there after work.

So far it seems to be in good condition.  They left the driver's window down so seat and rug are wet.  And of course they grabbed stuff out of the glove box and center console (including my trusty old Actron code reader) but didn't touch the radio.  Didn't mess up the key cylinder either!  Car started up okay so he went and got gas and drove it home.

We want to thank everyone for your good thoughts and interesting discussion.  Now to get to work on some security steps. 

• Like 2

@ heartless:  Yeah!  #1:  Maybe The Club as a visual deterrent.  #2:  Kill Switch!

@lmdew:  Thanks!  What a relief that the car wasn't totally trashed or destroyed.

@Fairtax:  Hah!  All the cops did was a visual look-over--then a phone call to let him know where it was!

Thanks for the nice thoughts all.

Great ideas--love the AM/FM switch concept, and the flashing rear lights are genius!  Thanks brus, heartless & Fairtax.

But I have a basic question--how does a "bad guy" start a targeted car?  Do they carry a bunch of dummy keys?  Do they actually hot-wire the ignition and if so, how?

Re-dedicating an existing (or newly installed) factory-looking switch on the dash would certainly fool an average, honest person like you or me.  But I'm pretty sure the bad-guys know all the usual "tricks."

Let me play devil's advocate.  Assume you're a semi-pro car thief:

1)  You've gotten into the vehicle.

2)  You try to power up the starter/ignition system.  No power!

3)  Aha!  The owner has probably installed a "kill system."

4)  So you try every "normal looking button" on the dash, thinking the owner might have re-wired one of them as a kill switch.

5)  If that doesn't work you'd probably feel around under the dash, then check the glove box and the center console.

I kinda' think the most unobtrusive little switch mounted in the most unexpected place would be better than a re-dedicated factory switch or one hidden in the usual places.  The bad-guy/SOB can't afford the time to search the entire car for a hidden switch!

Comments?

I was thinking the same thing, the center console box is definitely a no-go, so obvious to spot, and if it's in the glove box, it'd better be behind the actual door. That stifles everyday use..

It would hav eto be out of reach of the driver's seat assuming some Ocean's 11 hot shots troll the area.

As others have mentioned, this may not be the case.

Also I LOVE the alternated rear lights solution, but I'd couple that with a kill switch.

No need risking them getting away if you can stop them from leaving.

Congrats on being reunited!

Edited by SnatchedHatch

Good to hear you got it back considering statistically your odds were not good; more likely for it to have ended up half way across the country or up in Canada or chop shop, but the high value cars are more popular targets for that. 

Cops are  advising owners lock their cars with thefts becoming more of a problem, Subarus are harder to break into than some cars. 

Yeah, grimace--we wish you could have found it too.  Would have kept it in the USMB family!  Funny, Eric used to live at the corner of Dravus and 22nd, so at least it was all "in the neighborhood!" 

Thanks everyone for your concern and great thoughts.  Hopefully it helps with awareness for all of us.