Ultimate Subaru Message Board

intercooled folks..

Your sig says you already have a Saab 9000 IC..(thats one biggass IC.. my last one was as big or bigger thab an EA82 radiator)

I have noticed, especially when its cool out that my car pulls a bit harder since the IC and hood scoop went on .

I doubt that the intercooler alone will show much difference, but it should let you run higher boost without increasing intake temps so you can hold stock timing without detonation. OR with stock boost you might be able to run more timing advance (though I don’t think more than stock will gain you much power) or possibly lower octane gas.

Gary

P.S. just read your sig… the IC may help with any detonation your getting with your boost creep.

Well usually I am a skeptic about power gains with add on stuff but in this case I can honestly say I see a difference.

my wagon with the vw intercooler drops 100 degrees F before it enters the throttle body. it has minimal plumbing to sap efficency. in comparison to the RX that is set up the same with the exception of the intercooler there is a verry noticable difference. the wagon that is heavyer and has larger tires is definately quicker.

personally I feel its an incomplete system without it. ok so how many new turbo vehicles of any kind come without an intercooler? I can only think of one and its a little industrial deisle.

the saab one is lil bitty

i drove with the hood off and a lil scoop on it to test it, it went like a bat out of hell, but the i/c just got too hot and made it worse, so its been removed..

heres a pic of the old i/c

IMG00050.JPG

i forgot to remove that from my sig when i realized it wouldnt work...

heres the starion mounted and ready to go..

close.JPG

i know it dosent look like air will go through, but theres plenty of room underneath, and there will be plenty of pressure drop to get air through with the scoop.

btw, i dont get any detonation on 93 and no i/c, it dosent spend much time at 14psi, you have to hold it down for a long time to get up there.. yet, still no fuel cut, and dog sick rich on my dinky a/f meter under any boost at all..

im going to set the boost at 12-13 lbs as this seems to be the limit of the turbocharger

sorry for the confusion, i suck at updating.. lol

what do you think?

Never seen that intercooler on a SAAB. Is that newer then 92? All the ones ive seen and have for sale off a SAAB are huge (the same size as a radiator) with big tanks on the side. These were off 900S turbo intercooled from the early 90s back. Did they slim them down in newer ones?

That one in the pic is the same one my 85s(2), 86, 87, 89 and 90 900 Turbo had.( The S was non turbo until the newer body style 94+)

My 9000 Turbos on the other hand, had the full size front mount IC thats the same size as the radiator.

so yall thought i had this big rump roast i/c on the top of my motor.. lol

ive seen the big i/c you speak of, volvo has one too.. HUGE

I was a bit curious about how you mounted such a big IC.. and yes, the big Saab IC is basically the same as that big volvo IC

Hey 88rxsedan

That looks like about the biggest IC you can fit in there (thats good :D ), but is the core width wider than the "hump" on the EA82 hood? I'd like my scoop to get air across the whole face of the IC (when I get to that point :rolleyes: ). The plumping line up looks good, especially on the inlet side, I wonder how it would plumb up with the spider intake?

Gary

Hey 88rxsedan

That looks like about the biggest IC you can fit in there (thats good :D ), but is the core width wider than the "hump" on the EA82 hood? I'd like my scoop to get air across the whole face of the IC (when I get to that point :rolleyes: ). The plumping line up looks good, especially on the inlet side, I wonder how it would plumb up with the spider intake?

Gary

not well for the spider manifold, for that you would want a WRX i/c..

I havent checked the width, and it dosent matter to me, as long as most of it gets covered with air.. now, the question is, will the wrx scoop fit between the humps in the manifold.. hmm, should of though of that before i bought the scoop

The WRX scoop is too wide for the hump on the hood by 5-6 inches

The 2.5RS scoop is too wide as well. Being a 2.5RS owner, I already had that thought on my RX. ;) There are a good number of scoops for sale on eBay that would work (which is the route I was originally considering but I went with Auto Ventshade's "roof scoop" instead (which doesn't even have a real hole but is recessed where it wouldn't be hard to cut out).

Unfortunately, the scoop curves a little (since it is a "roof scoop" not a "hood scoop") but I figure I'll just heat it up a bit before attaching it which should flatten it out some.

I believe it's Erebuni that makes a "mini" WRX scoop that would fit, but it's much too expensive (like $80-$100, IIRC).

• 3 weeks later...

nice work, could you post a pic of the "bumps" in the hood for me?. .

that i/c is too small, doesent flow enough for my application..

And i dont want bumps in my hood (well, if they look ok) .. otherwise my car would be wearing a large FMIC..

when installed correctly, the TMIC is plenty effecient, and dosent soak as much heat as you think it would, considering that its over the transmission, not the motor :)

• 4 weeks later...