Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help with my 1988 gl throttle response

Hey guy's a newbie here hoping for some help. I have a 1988 GL non-turbo and having problems with fuel response. The car starts fine Idles ok, not perfect. If sitting still, and floor the fuel petal it boggs down and sometimes stalls. If I apply fuel pedal slowly it will gain with no problems. My main issue is while driving or taking off from intersections I need full throttle response to get out in road, as now I cannot do that for it will miss, and want to stall. Like I said It's fine if I just slowly apply fuel pedal. Any HELP would be great.. I have replaced plugs, wires, dis cap. Also the timing is on. Thinking maybe the injector!!

Double check all the basics first, cam timing, ignition timing, general engine mechanical condition, IE compression or leak-down test passed. Check for current and history codes. Failing any help there, check fuel system pressure and filters, and the coolant temp sensor. Next replace the TPS if a high mileage vehicle and verify that the MAF is good and working. More of these cars than you think by now have the check engine light pulled out due to re-occuring purge and egr solenoid failures. You can do a simple vacuum test to see if the cat is restricted.

Once all of the faults are corrected - and this is the important part - (it is a really simple system) then these engines run very well. If you are driving around an SPFI system in fault mode (IE a code is set for any reason) then the engine is not running as designed IMO.

Edited by Crazyeights

OK guy's here is was what was wrong.  I put new Injector in, and had same results. So I found a used throttle body , and put my new injector in it, and wow runs like a new one. So only thing I can figure was one of two things either air control valve, or TPS sensor.  Thanks for the info..