Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 WRX swap. Need info on brake and hub upgrade

I'm swapping a builded EJ205 motor and a GC8 5sp gearbox into my EA82 Leone. I want to upgrade the drivetrain. Hubs. 5x100. Axles. Diff. Brakes. Suspension. WITHOUT using XT6 parts to do it. Where I live I have no chance of sourcing XT6 parts. What are my options? I wouldn't say I'm on a budget but still can't spend too much on it if possible. I'm open for all ideas ;)

Crossbred Australia once offered a kit to help with the process of this conversion but copyright and production costs saw this kit come to a finish.

a link to an image of the discontinued kit.

http://crossbred.wikidot.com/products

Another way would be to fabricate extra mounts, so you could swap in the five stud components from a liberty/legacy or an impreza or forester, not an easy process but I have seen it done.

good luck with it :)

TOONGA

... WITHOUT using XT6 parts to do it. Where I live I have no chance of sourcing XT6 parts...

Dear Kristjan, 

Why don't use internet resources, such like e-Bay, or ask the kind help from another USMB Member in USA to source those parts for you? 

I've received Great Help in the past, from many USMB Members, who obtained Subaru Parts for me, and after I sent them the total amount for the part price plus shipping and handling, they sent me the Parts to my Small and Crazy Caribbean Country. You can check some links and Photos, here:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/122276-the-bumble-beast/page-5?do=findComment&comment=1253720

So, I kindly suggest you to try the Marketplace Forums.

Kind Regards.

• 1 year later...

I wanna see how your swap is going. I am done the exact same thing, what year motor is yours.

Also if you have a welder just Fab up some trailing arm and diff mounts for a Impreza rear end. 

Get creative and use pillow ball ends 

http://tssfab.us/wp/?wpsc-product=subaru-rear-trailing-arm-mounts

Make a very simple version of this if not buy a stock one of course.

Copy the frame mounts of an impreza and go for it.

http://tssfab.us/wp/?wpsc-product=subaru-gcgd-rear-subframe

I might do it one day when I get sick of XT6 hybrid rear I have going on.

front end:

get the steering knuckles, lower ball joints, struts & tie rods ends from any EJ powered car. driveshafts from Impreza

where the lower ball joint fits into the Leone's lower control arms, have the hole machined out larger to fit the ball joint from the EJ steering knuckle (it's bigger). this is a tapered hole so you'll probably need a machine shop.

rear end:

get the caliper, brake rotor, backing plate from EJ powered car (suggest the same as the front end parts)

the backing plate has 4 holes instead of 3 & has a larger centre hole so you need something else to hold it in.

make up a plate from 3 or 4mm plate that is the shape of the trailing arm including all the holes

sit the EJ backing plate onto the arm & find a suitable position (remember that a handbrake cable also needs to fit past so none of the holes will line up. mark up & drill the 3 bolt holes. weld this plate to the inside (hand brake side) of the backing plate so that now they are one piece.

watch out for the rear most bolt. It may interfere with the handbrake mechanism. If so, you may need to weld this bolt in (it's got a nut on the other side anyway) & then grind down the head

for the hub:

you haven't said whether your car is FWD or 4WD, or disc brake or drum, so this may change.

this is quite a dodgy method:

get a rear drum that suits your car, knock out the wheel studs

machine down the diameter and the face so that the EJ rear rotor fits over it (use the inside of the rotor to locate onto the outside of the hub)

drill 5x100 stud pattern as required for wheel studs.

to get the caliper to line up with the brake rotor, you will probably need to make up more spacers to fit between the backing plate & trailing arm

handbrake:

There are different options. My preferred is to make up custom ones that fit to the original lever. These need to be quite long as they need to go forward first & then loop back around in the transmission tunnel.

• Like 1

I have some XT6 hubs being made up now (just 2 sets for testing), I can put you in line for one set of them. See my EOI thread. This eliminates the "dodgy" method as described above :) Note they are for 4WD only, I haven't even thought about fwd.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...