Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Low budget 15" wheels ~ what do you think of these?

Low Budget 15" Wheels Choices  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How do these Rims Looks on my "BumbleBeast" Subaru?

• Too much Bling-Bling! (Ricer)
    • Great choice! ~ (Balance between Usefulness and Looks)
    • Lousy choice (Redneck)

About the Subaru's Center Caps on those Nissan wheels...

They look pretty close to me. We could confirm by measuring the actual hole in the wheel...

Yes, Good Idea!

... I'll pull a WRX rim and measure it later today...

Thank You!

I Really appreciate your kind will of helping me.

... Plastidip, it will flake off over time, on rims, but you can just keep respraying it...

Yes, you're Right.

I don't want to keep respraying that thing over and over again...

So I dismiss the Plasti Dip idea for sure.

... You can totally powder coat polished aluminum, but you definitely have to strip that clear coat for a good adhesion...

After using Paint Remover and get rid of the Clear Coat, I used dust of crushed stone along wax, in some sort of bead scuffing, to make the Aluminium to be Smooth as Silk.

The problem with Powder coating is that there are not too many places here that does that Job, using high temp to "Cook" the paint on the smooth aluminium surface, and as far as I've asked by Phone, they only want to cover All the Wheel's surface, not certain areas Only...

So, I measured the Hole's opening for the Mini Center Cap, on these 15" Wheels...

Measurements.jpg

...and the Measurement seems to be Equal or only a Hair of Difference, with the Mini Center Caps' Measurements. The Bigger measurement is for the Opening, and the Smaller is the lip for the mini center cap's Seat at the Wheels.

Kind Regards.

You want to use a 2.0L engine from the Hyundai Elantra on your Hyundai Excel...

I've seen Elantras with Mitsubishi Engines ... many Hyundais are based upon Mitsubishis

MitsuElantra.jpg

Currently, I've only needed to make minor mods to 2 gearbox mounts. I probably could've got away without this as both Excel bolts fitted directly on the front mount (but the Elantra uses an extra 2) & 2 of the 3 bolts fitted directly on the upper mount. I decided the minimal extra cutting & welding (I reckon about 30 minutes total work) to join on the Elantra parts to the Excel mounts was worth it due to the rough treatment the car gets. Rear mount was identical. I needed to do a full custom mount for the engine mount.

I'd need to remake all of the mounts to fit a Mitsi engine as I'd need to fit the Mitsi gearbox also.

This means I'd be up for another set of "custom" driveshafts and I've got almost no market for the $1000 Quaife LSD I bought for the Elantra gearbox :( Although, that gearbox looks very much like my Elantra one...

I know about the interchangability of Hyundai & Mitsi. I've got full Mitsi brakes fitted, plus the LSD is meant for the USDM Talon 4wd

At mo, I'd be more inclined to turbocharge or supercharger the Elantra engine and when it blows, consider my engine options.

Glad to see your wheels have turned up. :bouncy::clap: :clap:  What do they look like on the car just polished up?

Edited by wagonist

Now I understand your situation Better, the Elantra engine is Easier to Fit than the Mitsubishi...

...Glad to see your wheels have turned up ... What do they look like on the car just polished up?

I've not tried them yet, because I am searching for options among local shops to Paint with Black Powder coat certain parts of them, but seems like they can paint the whole wheel only...

Also, now I would love to find
Subaru mini center caps that fits into these wheel's openings...

Kind Regards.

if I can ask Jesz to send me an email to restore my address book please :) and 2, hijack back to Hyundy stuff and mention the Excels here that got a twin throttle body supercharged kit developed for them byformer  Zoom magazine people now run autospeed.com , they incrased power first just by adding a second throttle body on the other end of th inlet manifold if I recall. The SC then doubled output, requiring beefed up clutch, rquiring beefed up brakes. It was a kit made to be availble on the market in th end :) I think one story was done in Northern territory when no speed limits applied on open highway, and they were overtaking road trains at 160 or was it 180 kph ....??   :) :)

Dear Jonno,

Thank you for sharing that information. I'll send you an e-Mail right now.

Back on Topic:

Does somebody have Subaru Mini Center Caps, that fit on the aluminium wheels I have now?

If so, let me Know, I will buy 'em from you, if the price is Right  :) 

Kind Regards.

You can't partially powdercoat something unfortunately. 2 pack paint would be the hardest thing you could probably apply. Then clear coat the lot to protect it.

Johnno, they did a twin throttle NA, then single throttle supercharger (they cut the inlet manifold to fit the charger, then had the throttle body on the inlet). And it was before autospeed, I can't remember if it was Fast 4s & rotories, or Hot 4s.

I know of a whole Excel for sale with a twin throttle for about $600 unreg, but I figure if I'm going to mod it again later, then I may as well start at a higher point. The crashed Elantra I bought was only $400, and apart from the $1k I spent on the LSD, the only other costs have been about $150 for driveshafts & 3 cartons of beer for the welding.

• Like 1

You can't partially powdercoat something unfortunately. 2 pack paint would be the hardest thing you could probably apply. Then clear coat the lot to protect it.

Johnno, they did a twin throttle NA, then single throttle supercharger (they cut the inlet manifold to fit the charger, then had the throttle body on the inlet). And it was before autospeed, I can't remember if it was Fast 4s & rotories, or Hot 4s.

I know of a whole Excel for sale with a twin throttle for about $600 unreg, but I figure if I'm going to mod it again later, then I may as well start at a higher point. The crashed Elantra I bought was only $400, and apart from the $1k I spent on the LSD, the only other costs have been about $150 for driveshafts & 3 cartons of beer for the welding.

You can actually mask off areas you do not want to powder coat, but it has to be removed very carefully before baking the part. Like with turbo headers, you can't coat the inside of the tube.. So they just mask it off at the flange.

Edit: There is even high temp tape and silicon plugs specially made for powder coating.

Jeszek, I ment to pull a WRX rim out down from the rack in the garage to measure the center hole. I promise to do this today sometime. I think the center hole will be the same size or very similar on all 90-00's rims.

Edited by Ibreakstuff
  • Like 1

... lip measures 51.49mm. The actual center bore size is ~ 56mm ...

On my wheels, the lip measures ~ 49 millimeters,

and the Center Bore measures ~ 55 millimeters...

Are there Subaru's mini center caps with same measurements?

If somebody got a set, I'll buy them from you ... Kind Regards.

The tires I have on my "BumbleBeast" are 205/60 R15, from Nexen / Roadstone, a model line called "Classe Premiere 661" all weather, I measured them to be Close to 25" ... which is enough for my Weberized EA82 and my mixed Daily Drive on Week days / Offroading on Weekends' style.

Kind Regards.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After many posts of many USMB members on ~► This thread, I found out that there are No original Subaru mini center cap that could fit on my 15" Nissan Wheels.

But I found blank mini center caps with Perfect Fit, and Subaru Emblems' Stickers for center caps, made on Silicone with UV protection, whose makers claim that will outlast the original ones on Subaru Rims.

Stickers.jpg

I found interesting that the Stickers are coming from Poland, and the Caps are coming from Portugal.

This is how the New -to me- Polished Wheels looks like ...

Cinco%20Rines.jpg

... Next to my Old, unpolished Wheel of the same brand, style & measurements,

which I have as Spare Tire since many Years ago.

Edit: I'll Polish the old one soon...

So, I already polished my Old Spare wheel, which is identical the New -to me- Set of 15" wheels.

Already%20Polished%20Spare%20Wheel.jpg

• Like 1