Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sigh, rust, 1984 wagon

IMG_0955_zps2a4e3d31.jpg

Yep, they rust from the inside out.  This looked pristine half an hour ago, then I started using a wire brush.    

Much of the car is not rusty, and I feel I can get a few more years out of it.  

I found rocker panels at this placehttps://www.millsupply.com/auto-body-rust-repair-panels/subaru/  After I order the part, what's the next step?   The rest of the car really is in great condition 

I replaced them on my wagon with the ones you have listed above, they fit ok, I had to do some cutting and modifying as expected. I go over some of the replacement on the first couple of pages of my build thread. After you order the part wait until they come in to do anything else, they took a while to come in for me. After that I started cutting. Make sure you position them low enough down to clear the rear doors as they open, made that mistake on my first wagon, and they always scraped on the bottom of the doors as they opened. Paint the insides of the rockers (both the new ones, and the inside of the car) before they go on the car with something like por15, or rustoleum to prevent them from rusting from the inside again. After they are on, coat them with something on the outside, I used chip/rock guard on mine to prevent them from getting chips that lead to rust, and then painted over that. 

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/121769-1984-gl-wagon-fwd-build/

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
I don't see why you couldn't. I usually try to leave as much of the factory (solid) metal as I can when doing a repair. My car was a bit worse off than yours, so I had to go up higher, but I did not use the whole rocker as you can see in the pics. Also they are a bit short in the front, but they do match up pretty well with the factory ones. If they are too rusty up front, you can just add a small section with the metal you have left over. I also had to make a back side to the rockers, and connect them to the floor, otherwise I had a big hole on the back side. 

1_zps58a47ac5.jpg

3_zpsc0260c6e.jpg

2_zps66e0d158.jpg

Nice job! It makes me want to order a set of rockers before they are gone for good :D

Thanks, I've done a few sets now I'm getting decent at it. You live in the land of rust free cars, hopefully you would be able to find one a bit more solid than I can out here  :)

Thanks for the pics 1982gl4!  You are helping move this project along more than you know. And, the job you did in the build-thread, just wow.  

No problem, I have a couple more pics, but you have seen most of the ones I took as I was putting the car together, and thanks! It took a long time to get the car the way I wanted it, I still have some other plans for it, but my other projects are getting in the way right now, as the wagon is together and drivable. 

Getting ready to replace the lowers in my Brat. I already have the replacements just trying to grow the balls to start cutting my baby. Appreciate all the post as they have helped me also. I have the Mills lower sills also here now. My intentions after I get them in is to have my brother shoot with bed liner from the weld down. Good tip on the rustoleum or POR on the inside, I will be sure to hit the old and new during replacement.

Edited by bratman2