Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fixing one problem found another...rusty gas tank?

Hey there I could use some input here. I've got an 87 gl10 that I just swapped in an ej18. Everything is running pretty good just working out lots of little things. Looks like I got a rusty gas tank. Here's the back story. 

it was one of those days I guess haha...I set out to install the electric fan, I didn't know exactly which wire went where and set out to figure it out. When I was letting the car warm up, I started smelling fuel...like allot of fuel...I saw a big puddle accumulating and found that the fuel hose coming from the firewall to the fuel filter was cracked and leaking pretty bad. No big deal...I had a spare one sitting around so I depressurized the fuel system and took the hose off. When I did the gas that squirted out of the hose was SUPER dirty and brown, looks very rusty. :banghead:

It makes since, because before I bought the car it sat for several years. I read on a previous threads ways to clean out the gas tank (chain or ball bearings with multiply rinses). I also saw it was recommended to take the cleaned tank to a radiator shop and have it resealed. I called the local shop and they said it would cost ~170 bucks  :eek:

So my question is this...If I drop the tank and clean it out, could I

1) look for specific characteristics that indicate whether a seal is actually needed?

2) If it really needs to be resealed, can I do it myself? The guy at the shop warned me against it but maybe there is trick?

Not looking to spend 170 to fix the tank, I'd just buy a new one at that piont but I'm a cheap SOB. What are the CHEAP ways of taking care of this

thanks!

I have a friend who had a rusty, old, F-250 gas tank. He detached it from the vehicle then filled it with white vinegar, waited a week, then dumped it out, and then to be sure he got all the crap out he repeated the process a second time. Now when you look down the nozzle the tank is so clean its like looking in a mirror.

Edited by Sapper 157
  • Like 1

I was skeptical at first but we cleaned out the rusty tank from an 84 wagon by DRAINING and removing the tank, putting about a gallon of clean gravel in it, then two of us shook it up, dumped out the gravel along with about a cup of dusty rust and gas residue, blew it out, done.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feed back. Yea it seems like the general concept of how to clean it is established. I like the ideas of putting vinegar because its acidic and should help solubilize iron..HCL does the trick too but then I gotta deal with concentrated acid...I think I'll go for a combo of the pebble/chain route + vinegar. but have any of you cleaned out a tank and reinstall, only to find out later that the tank was too far gone? 

I'm hoping to take it on a few day trip in eastern oregon in a week. I'm just worried that if its been compromised from the rust, even if its clean maybe its weaker? I'd just hate to be out in the desert and have a hole develop in the tank and loose all my fuel in the middle of no where and be in the awkward situation of deciding whose gonna eat who to survive haha. 

So just to specify my question: After cleaning, is there anything to look for that may indicate whether it'll be solid or not (beyond something super obvious like a hole).

I think it'll be obvious once you get in there. You may drop the tank and end up getting a new one right away after you look at it. If you clean it with the rocks and it falls apart, well... I'd see what a junkyard tank costs. Once you get a good look at it, especially cleaned, up, you'll know. And bring some extra food on your road trip just in case.

• Like 1

so super weird...I was pulling the gas tank and before I fully committed I collected some of the fuel in a plastic bottle from a one of the front facing ports after a pulled one of the hoses (with the tank loose I tilted it so gas came out). It looks pretty clean  :huh:

Not sure why it was so dirty out when it came out next to the fuel filter. Maybe its coming from the lines? I think I'll just bolt the tank back up, try swapping the filter and see how that goes...

no there aren't drain holes. I had a 1/2 full tank, so when I pulled one of the hoses (not sure what to call it), fuel came out because the tank had so much gas in it. But its not even on the bottom of the tank. I pulled the hose in the process of pulling the tank out, but when I saw it looked clean I turned around.