Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starter motors, are they the same?

I don't know the answer to your question, but suggest you go on line to auto parts stores. Look up the part number for what would be a gen 1 model year car, and compare the part number to what would be a gen 3 model year car. If the starter model numbers are not the same, then I would not buy what is for sale on ebay.

It was almost off the bottom of the page. This forum seems very active these days and back when I used to be here a lot answers would come pretty quick. I was just bumping the post up.

I won't be buying an eBay one, I was just referencing it. I'll get a second hard one and open it up, clean it out. It's what I've always done.

Ok. Looks like I'm out ta time and will just have to bite the bullet, I'll let you all know if it is compatible.

Well a 95 Liberty (Legacy, EJ22) starter fitted the 99 Outback (EJ25 SOHC). At the wrecker I compared auto to manual starters and the manual one is longer in the bellhousing than the auto. The auto starter did look a lot like the older EA starters. But it was obvious it would not work with the manual EJ boxes.

The car isn't mine, well it was... The new owners contacted me for advise on getting the starter motor replaced. I offered to do the work for them.
The starter I fitted was a 23300-AA280, the car had a 23300-AA380. One of the auto 95 models had a A23300-AA390. I really have no idea how anyone works out what the starter will fit by the model numbers.

As I understand it for the EJ series cars and probably beyond there is distinctions between manual trans starters and auto trans starters but a starter from a 91 should fit a 2001 and vice versa. (And further beyond as fox mentioned)

I'm not speaking from first hand knowledge but I don't think there's any difference in EJ starters except whether it fits a manual or automatic.