Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale timing belt covers

So I was driving my car today when it just up and quit on my. Im afraid I snapped a timing belt but I cant get the damn covers off to see. I can get a wrench on the bolts but cant seem to loosen them. I feel like an idiot. Is there some trick that I dont know to get these things off? Or am I just dumb?

when these bolts are overtightened they actually break inside and just spin around, or really really hard to turn, i had so many broken that only 1 or 2 were holding the cover on each one of the 3 covers, ended up just snapping the plastic off when they refused to come out and getting the covers off of my donor/parts vehicle and i make sure to be really careful when tightening them from now on.

don't really know what to recommend to you since running without the cover runs the risk of a rock jamming in there.. perhaps someone else can suggest something.

• Like 1

The female part gets stripped out and will just turn and turn.  If your planning on keeping the car be gentle with the timing belt covers and take your time.  They get torn up when the fasteners are overtightened.  Many people take or get/ hack the covers off and leave them off.  Good sets of covers can still be found (NOS) for good money or even from parts hoarders, like me, for alot less.  Cheers and good luck!  Aaron 

• Like 1

The bolts were over tightened. And or rusty. The brass inserts in the plastic strip out and spin. Anti siese or grease can prevent this. I decided to run one of my cars without covers a long while back, after seeing several other members go coverless without trouble. I have had no trouble either. I keep the back pieces in place.

• Like 2

You'll have to break them to get the bolts out, unfortunately. Try to chisel out the front covers instead of twisting the bolts (which'll break the rear covers).

If you find a good set of donor covers, use zip ties instead of bolts to hold them together.

Just break em off. If they are giving ya hell they are already wasted anyway! Truely, I hate those things haha...so annoying. Unless your car is a true beauty that your trying to keep perfectly as was original, I wouldn't bother to replace them. Just get em off and never have to deal with them again! 

• Like 2

Tru 'dat.    Loose the covers.   I removed both front and back on 3 of my EA82's.   Never had a problem.     And I drive gravel logging roads every weekend - snow in the winter.

Now, you can keep an eye on all your timing components - and replace a water pump in 15 minutes.

If you want, you can ram a screwdriver in next to the female brass fitting to keep it from spinning.     Otherwise, get physical with them.   Don't worry about the timing mark on the rear cover... you will notice that it lines up with the gasket line at the heads (or valve cover... I forget.  But you'll see it)