Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've got a 99 Outback with a 98 impreza 2.2.  It takes anywhere from 5 to 20 turns of the key to get it to start.  I do get power to the starter when the key is turned and with the key held in place, the starter will crank with a few taps of a hammer.  Before I buy a new starter I just wanted to be sure that I have accuratley diagnosed it.  Thanks

Repair options depend on the time needed.

What is bad are your contacts in the solenoid. Replace cost $10-15 plus time to get it to you.

Immediate replacement, a  starter from salvage, cost ???? ( I've never bought one)

As an aside, the starter motor rarely goes bad, it's always the solenoid.

O.

• Like 1

I've replaced about 4 starters on 2.2 engines.  They are $80 [rebuilt] at advanced auto.  I haven't had a problem with them.  I believe that all the ones I replaced were OEM, but they all were at least 10 years old.  

Tip:  To get at the bottom bolt, the last time I did it, I took off the left front tire.  It was easier.

I've replaced about 4 starters on 2.2 engines.  They are $80 [rebuilt] at advanced auto.  I haven't had a problem with them.  I believe that all the ones I replaced were OEM, but they all were at least 10 years old.  

Tip:  To get at the bottom bolt, the last time I did it, I took off the left front tire.  It was easier.

I have replaced the starter accessing the bottom bolt from the top. It can be done, mostly by feel. In replacing the bolt, I inserted a rag under the bolt hole to catch the bolt in case I dropped it. I did not drop the bolt, but I put a rag rag in place to catch the bolt, and prevent it from dropping down to who knows where.

I bought a rebuilt starter from AZ. I just did not have the time to go to a dealer, which is some distance away, to buy replacement contacts, or the time to replace the contacts. I drove the Subie for years with no problems with the AZ starter.

I do remember 10 years ago, that there are, or maybe were,  two manufacturers of starters for Subaru. They look a little different from one another, but are interchangeable, and both bolt up just fine.

I f you are adding a relay to power the starter, you'll need a relay that can carry the high amps that the starter can draw.

Not sure how many, but I would guess several 100s of Amps.

I was going to connect to the solenoid which draws much less amps. Before I did this though, I tried jumping from the battery and it did not work, just the same click. This means I do infact need to replace the starter.

It has been ages since I swapped out a Subie starter. I do remember that I first pulled off the positive battery cable, but you prolly already know that. Don't remember using any deep well sockets, Did use a short extension, and maybe also a longer extension. Sockets used were prolly a 12MM, or 13MM, or 15MM. Sounds like you have wrenched on cars in the past, so you have some mechanical skills. Over all it is a pretty easy job, as the starter sits nice and high on top of the motor, so all but the back bolt are readily accessible. It helps to look at the bolt holes on the new starter, to give you a good idea of what bolts, and where they need to be removed from the old starter for removal.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry gang, but I just have to ask--why is everyone so anxious to shell out $70 or $80 or $100 to replace the quality OEM starter that's already in your Subaru?

It takes the same amount of work to R & R a starter whether it's the one you have or a replacement.  But it only takes minutes to open up the solenoid housing and replace the copper contacts.  A few phone calls to auto-electric shops or a search online should find you a set for about 15 bucks.

Then, if you still want to get rid of your money, send it to me.  I'll be glad to help make it disappear!

It has been ages since I swapped out a Subie starter. I do remember that I first pulled off the positive battery cable, but you prolly already know that. Don't remember using any deep well sockets, Did use a short extension, and maybe also a longer extension. Sockets used were prolly a 12MM, or 13MM, or 15MM. Sounds like you have wrenched on cars in the past, so you have some mechanical skills. Over all it is a pretty easy job, as the starter sits nice and high on top of the motor, so all but the back bolt are readily accessible. It helps to look at the bolt holes on the new starter, to give you a good idea of what bolts, and where they need to be removed from the old starter for removal.

Subaru never used 13 mm. They consider it bad luck.

Jus

Sorry gang, but I just have to ask--why is everyone so anxious to shell out $70 or $80 or $100 to replace the quality OEM starter that's already in your Subaru?

It takes the same amount of work to R & R a starter whether it's the one you have or a replacement.  But it only takes minutes to open up the solenoid housing and replace the copper contacts.  A few phone calls to auto-electric shops or a search online should find you a set for about 15 bucks.

Then, if you still want to get rid of your money, send it to me.  I'll be glad to help make it disappear!

Well, you may be lucky with the 99. I just went through this with my 05 OB and the solenoid is not serviceable diy. In fact an electric rebuilder said his reference material concurred. He said you'd destroy the solenoid to get into it as the access is not the three screws that the older models have but a furled over metal case encased in plastic.

Wish I could have replaced the contacts but ended up replacing with a denso reman unit and YES tghe bottom nut is a bear to get out. Need to go through wheel well and use an offset socket wrench to get it loose.