Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replaced struts with 98 4 runner struts now bottoming out

Hey guys today I replaced my old blown struts with 1998 toyota runner front struts into my rear. Now the new struts bottom out on almost every bump. I couldnt get the factory struts here. I read that this is a normal upgrade on thenold loyales. I drive a 1991 loyale. The rear end is also lifted a couple inches witch i read only happens when you use other springs. Im using stock springs i was going to mayne try the accord springs? I cant really do much driving with my car like this. Its a 1991 loyale 4x4. Any info is appreciated

Did you put the rubber isolators back in on the top of the shock?  Even with everything tight it clunk like you are bottoming out but its just the metal on metal hitting.  I did the swap with my lift block on top and was getting the bottom out clunk almost every time I was hitting a bump.  I eventually swapped in outback rear shocks and made new top blocks to account for the different top mounts.

Well on this loyale its got 2 bolts that hold it too the inside of the fender. I installed the rubber bushings like the old ones had. When i jump off the rear bumper you can hear it bang internally. Actually almost any pothole it will bottom out if its more then me in the car. I was maybe going to try some heavier springs now that i already drilled out the old mounts. Kind of crappy. I read that this should fix my problems.

It seems to be travelling the full range when i jump on the rear bumper. It makes a loud knock. I was looking underneath and had a friend do it. And i couldnt see anything else causing the noise. Coming from the strut. Its very loud. You can feel it in the whole vehicle. A jarring feeling

It seems to be travelling the full range when i jump on the rear bumper. It makes a loud knock. I was looking underneath and had a friend do it. And i couldnt see anything else causing the noise. Coming from the strut. Its very loud. You can feel it in the whole vehicle. A jarring feeling

maybe the stock bolt through the lower bushing is too small?  if its got play you may be making a bang everytime the suspension gets force in an oppsite direction.

also maybe the top nut too loose.  if it hasnt compressed the spring enough it can make noise or bring it out of position.

... Those shocks are designed to handle the heavy end of a much bigger car so it's strange that they're bottoming...

Exactly, it makes no sense, unless the Coil Springs are completely worn out...

It seems to be travelling the full range when i jump on the rear bumper...

Please allow me to ask this question, despite it might sound foolish:

Did you installed the Subaru Coil Springs on the Toyota Shock Absorbers,

prior to install them on your Subaru:o 

Because it sounds like the Shock Absorbers were installed Coil less, somehow...

Anyhow, I kindly suggest you to install the Front '89 Honda Accord coil Springs,

on those toyota Shock Absorbers and report back the Results.

Please, review this complete Writeup with Photos and Part Numbers,

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/

There are more answers... Kind Regards.

Hey guys. I did install the subaru springs onto the strut. And i redrilled the bottom bolt too a bigger bolt that fit the new strut perfectly.i cranked on the top bolt nice and tight. When you hit a pothole it feels like the car getting smashed. I have to try and find the accord springs. The parts store cant get them.

Alright, it means that your original Subaru coil springs are worn out.

You can either find another set of Subaru ones, or try these from Honda:

The Part Number for the Honda's Coil Springs, is:

~►  MOOG CC248    for "Moog" Brand.

~►  NCP 2775298   for "Napa" Brand.

Try sourcing them online ... Kind Regards.

• Like 1

Confirm that the strut top bolt is torqued to spec, not just 'feels tight'. With the spring pressure pushing up against the top mount it feels tight to your hand but can still be loose enough for play, which makes it clunk loudly on every small bump. I've made this mistake before, you can't trust your 'feel' for when it's tight.

• Like 1

Installed the accord springs today. Everything is good now. But now my car looks like a high heel shoe. Does anyone know of a piece to order to level it out and drop the rear diff? Im going on a 20,000 km road trip next week...

I am really glad to know that the Rear suspension is working good with the Honda coil springs and the toyota shock absorbers; however, if you read my writeup, whose web link I posted above, you'll find that I wrote there, that I needed to order a 2" lift kit to level the front; I explained that at the writup, with photos; also I explained there, that you'll need to drop the rear differential to keep the axles on the proper angle.

However, I drove my Subaru with the rear lifted only, for a couple of years, and the only ill effect was that the Headlamps were pointing their beam, very close to the car... and the car looked weird with the rear lifted only.

So, I kindly suggest you, once again, to read completely that writeup, for further information, and web links that will guide you to even more information and photos.

Kind Regards.

as long as the strut has movement then you can remove the lift block and let the strut and spring do the lifting.

I dont know if the spring needs cut since I havent done that mod myself, but sometimes they do.  you will have to check the write up.  also double check the write up to make sure they are talking about 4wd cars, there was some stuff around about the differences for 2wd and 4wd.

Edited by djellum