Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking about mufflers......

I am putting this 82 Brat back together; http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/149409-refresh-of-a-very-interesting-1982-brat/

What I am going for is stock plus 10% as if it was bought in 82 and within a few years all the mods were done. I am trying to use only things that were on the shelf in the 80s, KC Daylighters, Ranchos, and the engine is built to a fairly standard build that is proven to yield about 110 HP. Right now it has a rust free original muffler but I am trying to decide to keep it or go with something else. High on my list is a Supertrapp disk style muffler but I can't find a clip of an EA81 running with one. I don't want an over the top sound, just something that fits the stock plus 10% theme. Any suggestions?

Running Magnaflow on my '85 Brat. Fairly deep (for an EA81) tone, not excessively loud (ricey), while giving me a quiet ride. Quite happy with it.

i second this.  My last EA81 ran a full stainless exhaust with a magna flow and it sounded nice.  Not rice-y at all.  

• Like 2

I'm interested in this thread cuz my ea81 sedan doesn't have a muffler. I dont mind but getting pressure from the wife to make the ride quiter. Just talked to the local muffler shop and was quoted 140 to install a basic muffler and 225 for magna flow. I eventually plan to sell the car. Is the sound gonna be significantly better? I like the low rumble I get now. Not sure what ricey means. Is it worth it get the magna flow?

On my hatchback i have a 30" cherry bomb glass pack for my muffler it but with a ej22. It is fairly quite at idle with a slight rumble but when you get on it it's not super loud. On a ea81t wagon i put on a cherry bomb glass pack in the center and a cheap muffler after it. It had the boxer rumble all the time and wasn't a loud car. On another hatchback i put on a weber carb and a cheap muffler which really brought out the boxer rumble.

• 1 year later...

First muffler I installed on my 87 Brat was a "turbo Thrush" which is an oval muffler similar to the Magnaflow SS I currently have. I got around 5 or so years out of the first one and another 5 or so years out of the second one. Can't say they didn't sound decent. Just didn't last long. I have had the Magnaflow SS muffler for maybe 8-9 years now. Buy right once and be done if you plan on keeping it a long time.