Ultimate Subaru Message Board

02 forester--put in engine forn OB wagon?

I was thinking about buying an 02 forester with a problem motor

I have an 02 and a 2000 OB wagon with good motors

Can these blocks fit into the forester and just swap the intakes?

(FYI the forester is a manual and the wagons are automatics)

Before you answer see below

The guy from the local (and HUGE) Subaru salvage yard here says no.... not without a lot of work

(WHY CAN'T you PASTE INFO IN YOUR MESSAGES HERE???? can someone explain that to me?)

He said this......

1st email----"you would have to change the block"

2nd email after I asked if it had something to do with the spacing of the intake ports he said....""it's a lot to type but the blocks do not work forester to legacy without splitting it and changing 1/2 of the block to another to another style"

I have no idea what he is saying...does anyone know for sure?

The engines will swap, BUT

The left cam gear and the crank sprocket will have to be swapped between the engines.

Also, since the Forester is a manual, you really should have a timing belt guard on the oil pump. 

Otherwise, no problem.

Emily

Hey Emily....how's the recuperation going?

By left...which side do you mean?

Am why the belt guard depending if manual or automatic?  What's the issue as to why they all have or don't have it?

Thanks for the education

"Left" and "right" are always noted as if you're sitting in the driver's seat.  Therefore, left is always driver's side, right is always passenger's side.

The belt guard is to protect the belt from skipping time.  An automatic won't roll backward when the car is stopped and in park.  A manual will, unless the E-brake is set.  You know...that little backward roll for a few feet...it's enough to jump time and cause problems in these zero tolerance engines because the engine actually rotates backward when that happens.

Recuperation. HA! If anyone ever says they want to fuse your entire spine AND put titanium screws and rods in you from your neck to your butt, tell them to go to hell!  I did it for good reasons but I still wish I hadn't.  I work from home, I haven't driven in 2 1/2 years, I'll never be able to bend ever again and I have constant spasms unless I'm lying flat on my back.  I may just be the most badass woman you will ever know, because I've gone through it TWICE.

Otherwise, I'm good.  How about you? Or, as they say in New York, "how's by you?" :)

Emily

back as far as 1999 in a Forester. Your looking for a vehicle with an EJ251 engine tag. If you match that, then you have a swappable engine

There is no actual thing as an EJ251.  That is something that is found only in internet forums.  Also, EJ253 or EJ25D.  It's internet shorthand.  Just FYI.

Emily

"Left" and "right" are always noted as if you're sitting in the driver's seat.  Therefore, left is always driver's side, right is always passenger's side.

Emily,

Yes, 'Left' and 'Right' are always facing forward.

But the 'driver's side, and 'passenger's side' depend on whether the car is LHD (Left-Hand Drive) or RHD (Right-Hand Drive).

So what might be correct in the Americas, would be the opposite in Britain/Australia/NZ etc,

So, lets just call it 'Left-side' and 'Right-side, facing forward.

Emily,

Yes, 'Left' and 'Right' are always facing forward.

But the 'driver's side, and 'passenger's side' depend on whether the car is LHD (Left-Hand Drive) or RHD (Right-Hand Drive).

So what might be correct in the Americas, would be the opposite in Britain/Australia/NZ etc,

So, lets just call it 'Left-side' and 'Right-side, facing forward.

You are correct.  Even traveling in Europe and South America, I (so far) have never encountered a RHD vehicle. 

Sorry to hear that Em.....

You are tough as nails girl....!....I hope things get better for you

Thanks for the info....I always question when people say left/rt because I don't trust that people are speaking from the drivers seat

Now YOU I should trust...!

And thanks for the info on the T belt guard....I will store that away in my head

• Like 1

I have a duh moment...I should have asked:

1--WHY would the crank sprocket need to be changed?

2--why the cam gear also(by that I assume we are talking about the "pulley" that is on the end of the cam shaft that the T belt rides on?)?

If you are dropping a whole engine.....and maybe? just swapping the intakes (not even sure about this part)----why do u have to do 1 & 2 above?

While we are talking about 2000-2003/4 OB/forester engine swaps.....what about the imprezas?

I wish we had an accurate sticky of all the possible engine swaps......and what if anything would need to be adjusted to make the swap

THAT would be a valuable asset here

there are a couple different sensor wheel arrangments for the engines. They all take the same sensors, but the sensors read differently and the ECU needs to see the right readings from the sensor wheels... mix them up and the engine will run, but not really