Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ej25d Weird Timing Belt Tensioner

So recently I pulled apart my motor for a rebuild. Luckily haden't purchased parts yet because I wanted to see the engine condition.

I noticed I have a weird style tensioner and that my year and model has come with both. Wondering why they came with different ones which is better and what it tells me about my exact engine model.

This is the tensioner I have:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/aHHpFy4-sMM/maxresdefault.jpg

That's the 'older' style tensioner. I believe people generally say it seems to work better than the 'new' style. The reason they come with both is in a transition year they tend to use up the existing stock of 'old' parts then once those are gone they cut over to the 'new' part. You can actually use either style tensioner, you just need the mounting plate or whatever it is called that corresponds to the tensioner.

the old style tensioners are robust and have much lower failure rates - but they're old by now too and replacements aren't Subaru OEM usually so quality can't be guaranteed to be OEM...unless you buy OEM.

the tensioner bolts to a bracket - just buy the new style bracket or serach for the bracket.

opposed forces website or many online or ebay sites have good exploded view diagrams/part numbers.

the old style tensioners are robust and have much lower failure rates - but they're old by now too and replacements aren't Subaru OEM usually so quality can't be guaranteed to be OEM...unless you buy OEM.

the tensioner bolts to a bracket - just buy the new style bracket or serach for the bracket.

opposed forces website or many online or ebay sites have good exploded view diagrams/part numbers.

The tensioner that Napa can get is from the OEM supplier. Cheaper than OEM but not cheap. I decided to replace the tensioner on my '99 Legacy SUS when I had it. Was like $100 and got it there because they had it on the shelf. only place local that had it

I have many core motors lying around our shop and if you really need a tensioner bracket for the one-piece tensioner, I could sell one for $30 plus shipping from Portland, OR.

I don't check USMB regularly, so if you wanted one you can email me at matt (at) superiorsoobie (dot) com

jread,

you already have the old style tensioner,

\which is considered better,

why are you pricing the bracket for a conversion???

i guess i missed something.

you also did not specify your year?????

but if it is an ej25 and factory stock,

it must be a 96 - 97, maybe 98.

the swap to the new tensioner took place with the 98 model year.

i guess there is a possibility that canada got ''changes'' on a slightly different schedule.

but i doubt it unless the US law dictated the change.

does any one know where canadian legacys are built???

Edited by johnceggleston

I have a 1998 Legacy Outback with the old style.

Someone in Vancouver is selling a tbelt kit for 100 bucks vs 300. He was going to put some DOHC heads on another block but never ended up doing it and is now selling the kit brand new. Therefore switching to the new tensioner could save a couple bucks!

Was just reviewing this post since I am getting ready to do the water pump on a 1998 Forester 2.5L DOHC engine.  It was mentioned that the two piece tensioner is better, I have several of these laying around from my 2.2L Subaru's but would need to get a new pulley for that.  

John (see post above) do you recommend one goes with the two piece option if needing to replace a water pump anyway? Is this tensioner the only part difference in the 1996 & 1997 kits opposed to the 1998 kits? Also I've had crappy luck on the Dayco kits so was thinking of getting a Gates belt and new water pump while reusing the other pulley's since the bearings seem to be in really good shape. I believe the last guy just failed to replace this water pump when replacing the belt and pulley's.

That kit seems like a cheaper brand with no tensioner. I've been reading get good quality from a reputible brand. Continental, gates, or OEM. Also to just do everything at once since when a belt or idler goes your engine is toast.