Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front struts

Does anyone have an idea where I can find front struts for a 90 Loyale wagon 4wd MT? Rock auto has a set, but they're gabriels. I was hoping to get some KYB's, but I'm not willing to pay over $100 per strut when I can get Bilsteins for my full size truck for half that price. Are there any front strut alternatives? Ive read the "2.7 Turbo Loyale" writeup on improved suspension, but I'm not going that route right now. Thanks for any help.

Here's the specs on the KYB front struts available from rock auto. These are FWD.

Compressed Length (in) 13.94 Cover No Extended Length (in) 19.92 Rebound Stop No Stroke (in) 5.98

Here is the 4WD Gabrial

Extended Length 21.25" Collapsed Length 14.00" Stroke 7.25"

Here is the Monroe Spectrum 4WD.

Compressed Length 14.500"             Extended Length 20.625"   P839 Travel Length 6.125"

Some figures to ponder...

I just bought a set of gabrials for $81 off ebay with free shipping(cheaper than rock auto). I've heard some good things about them and thought i would give them a try. Better than having a blown front drivers side strut.

Have you put them to use yet? Part number please?

Edited by The FNG

I got Sachs for my Brat. I think they may have been the last pair Rockauto had in stock. I installed Gabriel's on my 87 Brat maybe 16-17 years ago and they were worn out when I replaced them in 2014. Not bad considering the amount of time they were on. The Sachs ride awesome, or maybe just having new makes it seem that way, lol!